What constitues 'pre-existing medical condition' on travel insurance?

(7 Posts)
Oddoneout63 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:13:17

I had breast cancer nearly 11 years ago, and got the all-clear 6 years ago. Does this still constitute a 'pre-existing' condition and do I have to declare it for travel insurance?

Ditto a trivial heart murmur, diagnosed when I was expecting DS16, for which the blood transfusion service won't take my blood, but has never been any sort of issue [I run several times a week at a reasonable pace, cycle to work, etc etc].

PurpleCrazyHorse Tue 16-Feb-16 22:15:06

I always mention everything as I don't want a nasty surprise.

reallybadidea Tue 16-Feb-16 22:18:58

I would definitely mentioned both of those.

hilbil21 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:31:14

Tell everything. I worked up until last year for an insurer that covered a lot of the free bank policies as well as some of their own brands. A lot of the policies ask if you have EVER had cancer, and also EVER had a heart related condition. Don't leave anything out X

Oddoneout63 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:39:01

Thanks MNers! I have had some quotes and even when I declare everything I can think of it's still <£20, for the cheapest quote, [single trip quote] so only a couple of quid's difference. I will tell all! smile

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 17-Feb-16 10:08:46

Yes, better to over share than not be able to claim.

I always buy an annual, worldwide, family policy. My ailments doubled the cost. But it is worth it.

I do think that the cancer declaration will be ongoing.

girlywhirly Wed 17-Feb-16 17:32:08

If you didn't tell all, it could mean the policy was invalidated. You have to tell the insurer if there are any changes, including medication dosage, as soon as it is different from what you originally stated. I've just renewed my policy and had to go through the health questionnaire and declaration again even though nothing has changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now