Zika in Canary Islands

(5 Posts)
LimesMum Mon 15-Feb-16 07:46:16

Looking for some advice

A friend has sent me this article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/zika/12138988/Zika-outbreak-could-infect-hundreds-of-thousands-of-people-in-Spain.html

I am due to go on holiday to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands over Easter.

I will be 24 weeks pregnant then.

She was also due to go and has cancelled her holiday over fears of Zika being transmitted to the Canaries.

Wondered if anyone has any views on this?

The CDC and WHO both make no mention of risk at all but I can't help worrying now!

Thanks in advance

mummymeister Mon 15-Feb-16 10:23:01

Limes don't rely on newspaper articles have a look at the government advice about travel and speak to your travel agent.

if zika is confirmed and it is a case from the island rather than someone who caught it elsewhere (there have been 5 cases in the UK) then they will give you a full refund if you are pregnant.

as far as I know neither WHO or CDC have added this to the list yet but it is a very fluid and ever changing situation I am afraid. no one really knows how far the spread will be. (in areas with mosquitos of the right sort obviously)

if you are going to be so worried then it might be best to try and change your destination because there is no point going away and being on edge all of the time.

specialsubject Mon 15-Feb-16 12:19:26

the article says that a mosquito that might be in the Canaries might possibly be a vector for the disease.

(The canaries are not suitable for the main vector, the aedes mosquito)

if concerned, cancel. You'll lose your money though.

mummymeister Mon 15-Feb-16 16:25:25

there are some other threads which I think went out on chat or AIBU where people had the name and number of the head cheese at the holiday company and gave them a call/email direct and got a refund.

always worth a try if you are worried.

B3auBouqu3t Wed 17-Feb-16 22:04:55

Your doctors surgery should have a nurse that deals with travel injections and travel queries they should be able to advise you

If you travel they would probably advise you about prevention eg wearing suitable clothes, insect repellent etc

However, ultimately the choice is yours

The canaries may be too windy for this type of insect ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now