If we like the vendee where else would we like to camp in France?

(11 Posts)
Ledkr Sat 13-Feb-16 20:31:58

We have a camper van, kids not keen on a long drive so e ferry down as far as we can.
Not everyone's cup of tea but they do enjoy the lively sites with the big pools and slides and a bit of evening entertainment.
We have been to st Jean de monts for the last few years and feel like we really should branch out now.
Any suggestions?

ScandiCinnamon Wed 17-Feb-16 08:27:11

Hi Ledkr,
Last year we went to Les Deux Fontaines which is near Nevez. I would recommend it and our DD's loved it there. There are pools and water slides etc. Unfortunately it was a a tad too cold to swim outside when we went (May) but there is an indoor heated pool too. The nearby beaches are gorgeous too.
Where in St Jean de monts would you recommend? (We will most likely rent one of the little huts/bungalow/static cabins)

Tfoot75 Wed 17-Feb-16 08:32:00

Some nice sites in the Loire valley which is a similar distance I think. Or a little bit further is the dordogne which is lovely, bit more authentic French and lots of wine and canoeing.

Ledkr Wed 17-Feb-16 08:34:11

Thanks.
I will look at those.

How old are the children scan

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 17-Feb-16 08:34:55

am not a camper but do love France.

How about looking at sites in Charente Maritime? Just a little further to drive than Vendee.

La Rochelle area is popular. A year or two ago we stayed near to Fouras there are some campsite nearby. Infection are down there there is The Isle de Re and Isle D'Oleron where you will find sites too.

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 17-Feb-16 08:37:11

Agree with Tfoot that dordogne is lush.

Loads of sites there. likely to be warm /hot ;)

A little further again ro drive. Can you factor in an overnight in a hotel on the way?

We have always had ro break our journey as have a long drive in the UK to start with.

Ledkr Wed 17-Feb-16 09:05:27

We have a motor home so overnight stops are no probkem and part of the adventure.
We did fancy La Rochelle but the good sites were booked last year.
Has the does tge dordogne inland or coastal? Sorry to be thick

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 17-Feb-16 10:05:35

Dordogne is inland. But there is the river. Canoeing and beaches on the river

It is absolutely beautiful there too. We have only been once and remarked constantly how gorgeous the scenery was.

We stayed in a town called Daglan. Not far from Sarlat, Roque Gageac, Domme etc.

ScandiCinnamon Wed 17-Feb-16 11:05:10

Ledkr my DD's are 6 and nearly 8. We are planning on going over May half term.

dreamingofsun Wed 17-Feb-16 11:12:59

we liked les deux fontaine too. however, loved south brittany more as has weather thats similar to vendee and very pretty - much prettier beach/country/town wise than vendee. we also liked the dordogne but a bit of a treck to drive. massif central is lovely area (I went there long time ago miind but i can't imagine its changed much) but would be treck. loire would fit your criteria and there are some lovely sites there - though i haven't been, just read a lot. ukcampsites.co.uk has reviews. or what about staying just outside paris?

Ledkr Wed 17-Feb-16 14:47:57

scan we stayed at a lovely site last year, called les ecureuiles. Lovely abd friendly and smallish, great pool with slides and a lazy river , lovely entertainment and opposite the beach.
But boring for dd1 14 but dd2 loved it, she was 4.
Take or hire bikes, cycle paths are everywhere and brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now