Thiepval for the commemoration on 1july

(6 Posts)
IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Tue 02-Feb-16 21:37:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 02-Feb-16 22:11:36

Depends where you are in the UK, but generally car is the easiest (nearest airport probably Paris, but then you'll be driving back towards the channel anyway). The Somme area is only just over an hour from Calais. I hope you can find accommodation, I suspect much of it is already booked by now! Albert, Bapaume, Peronne, Arras or Amiens are your best bets but to be honest you'll probably have to stay further afield. Alternatively have a look at Gites de France but think outside the box and perhaps look at Pas de Calais rather than Somme region. Here is a B&B with availability, Gites tend to be booked Sat-Sat, Mon-Fri or Fri-Mon.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 02-Feb-16 22:16:10

Also have a look at Accor Hotels (that's Ibis, Novotel, Mercure etc. Lots of coverage but closest ones already booked up.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 02-Feb-16 22:23:26

This B&B is available.......if you can't use your tickets I'd be delighted to use them for yougrin

Maisycat Tue 02-Feb-16 22:24:14

I've got tickets too. We have an airport in Albert, but not sure if any commercial flights go there at the moment! Lille is the easiest airport to access and there may be a chance of getting a hotel around there too. It is very simple to drive to the Somme, off the tunnel/ferry A26 and then A1 motorway, takes an hour and a half. There were rumours of hotels in Arras still having some room. There will be a lot of people out there (a lot of other ceremonies going on too) I know a lot of people are looking to stay in the Ypres area too and drive down early. If you're on the Somme a day or two before hand to have a look around be aware that they will probably be restricting access to a lot if areas in advance for security. There are loads of great guide books to the area- are you / your dad interested in anything specifically?

lapsedorienteerer Tue 02-Feb-16 22:42:40

Here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now