Oman - Shangri La Al Waha

(24 Posts)
MissGintyMarlow Mon 01-Feb-16 10:26:38

I'm quite keen on this resort but dh is not convinced by pix on website, brochure. So has anyone been and would you recommend it? Dcs are 11 and 8.

homebythesea Mon 01-Feb-16 12:03:21

Yes

Go

It's amazing

I coukd go on

But just go

LondonStill83 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:05:29

I have been there.

It's gorgeous.

Hated Oman though- no soul and was felt up by old men, and it's CRAZY expensive.

homebythesea Mon 01-Feb-16 12:08:57

The every place in the Middle East is expensive (done Oman, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar several times!). Don't go to the ME if every time you order something you comment on the price- it will do your head in. Just suck it up and enjoy the service And the food.

Shangri la dies great water sports from the beach which your DC's will love

Thefitfatty Mon 01-Feb-16 12:10:00

It's awesome. Love it. And Oman is beautiful!

MissGintyMarlow Mon 01-Feb-16 14:36:26

Thanks everyone, that's pretty unanimous. Would do full board to avoid as much extra expense as possible. Is the snorkelling good?

Katsite Mon 01-Feb-16 14:38:37

went to Oman twice because we loved it so much. before kids though. Snorkelling should be excellent (we stayed at the Al Bustan).

charleybarley Mon 01-Feb-16 14:44:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LondonStill83 Mon 01-Feb-16 14:44:59

I would do all inclusive as things are crazy expensive so this way you know what you are paying and can just relax and enjoy.

homebythesea Mon 01-Feb-16 14:45:48

Oman air flies direct from london

MissGintyMarlow Mon 01-Feb-16 14:55:59

They don't appear to offer all inclusive, or I would do this. Is there any other resort that people prefer? I'm keen on combo of good food with plenty of choice, snorkelling, fun for dcs and decent weather. Dh, however, thinks it's too far to fly.

JoandMax Mon 01-Feb-16 15:00:19

It is a lovely hotel, fantastic service and very relaxing! Plenty of excursions and water sports if you wanted and loads to see snorkelling.

I don't find it as expensive as other ME holiday resorts, the buffet restaurant options are actually really good and reasonably priced so evens out the price of some of the nicer Al a carte ones!

Whatdoidohelp Mon 01-Feb-16 15:01:10

The shangri la hotel is made of up 3 resorts. Al Waha being the cheapest one. AL Bandar being the middle one and Al Husn being the absolute best. They are all 5 star but the accommodation and facilities does vary. If you stay at Waha you can use Bandars facilities but not Husns as they are for exclusive guest use. If you can afford it go to Bandar or Husn. The whole report is amazing but expensive. The snorkelling is not good at the beach - you would need to arrange a day trip somewhere. Make sure you and the family are appropriately dressed going through the airport. I've been four times to Husn so shout if you have any questions.

Chapsview Mon 01-Feb-16 15:04:21

Great place! Dolphin watching was good and we saw giant turtle laying eggs on beach at hotel - they run a whole conservation thing with the turtles.

Only downside of our visit was the Dick Cheney was staying when we were there with a full Secret Service army that accompanied him.

MissGintyMarlow Mon 01-Feb-16 15:14:15

Thanks all and thanks whatdodidohelp, unfortunately Al Bandar appears to be full the dates we want to go - how much nicer is it than Al Waha? We may not be able to go at all at Easter (when we were considering) so I might see if I can book it for another time, assuming I can get dh on board wink

Whatdoidohelp Mon 01-Feb-16 16:38:24

Bandar and Waha share the same pool beach restaurants etc so it's only the room accommodation that will differ. Waha will be fine. It's 5 star.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Mon 01-Feb-16 16:45:02

I have stayed in Waha and Al Husn. Both lovely - obviouly Husn is premium but I believe it's also adults only? There is an amazing Moroccan resto there. Beaches and snorkeling great. Try and visit when the turtles are there.

Honestly I wouldn't hesitate. The other "great" hotel in Muscat is the Chedi, which is also nice but the Shangri La has more to keep kids entertained.

Bear in mind you are quite far out from Muscat proper. So if you want to visit the souks or museums, you will need to drive (or take the free bus).

homebythesea Mon 01-Feb-16 16:46:47

Or hire a driver to take you round- ours took us to the mosque, souk, fish market etc plus his home village which was great.

Whatdoidohelp Mon 01-Feb-16 17:01:33

Husn now allows children to stay in the rooms but not to the private beach or pool.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Mon 01-Feb-16 17:40:32

Thanks what - I couldn't remember clearly.

OP there is a lovely restaurant near the fish souk you should visit. It has the imaginative title of "The Fish House" and they serve whatever they have caught that day barbecued over charcoal with fresh baked bread. DH and I were in heaven!

Feeling a bit envy of your trip actually!!

MissGintyMarlow Mon 01-Feb-16 18:56:59

Don't feel envy because we may well not go! Dh is anti. Which is annoying as you lot have all sold it to me so well. sad

Whatdoidohelp Mon 01-Feb-16 20:00:04

Get your dh to read the trip advisor reviews. I have travelled all over the world and this shangri la is the only hotel in the world I have visited more than once. I agree with the slight hassle of the BA flight as it stops in Abu Dhabi on the way. The return flight is especially annoying as it leaves muacat late at night so by the time your falling asleep as you come into Abu Dhabi you get woken up again grrrrr. I haven't flown Oman air but have read good reviews.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Thu 04-Feb-16 07:26:23

DH and I drove from Dubai - we hired a 4x4 and did some off roading on the way. Tbh it's a pretty long and brutal drive but the thought is a spot of dune bashing might be enough to tip your DH over the edge! grin

Thefitfatty Thu 04-Feb-16 11:14:27

Oman's incredible. Google Wadi Shab and try and do some day trips because the surrounding country side is incredible. I've lived in the ME for 10 years now and I would wholeheartedly say Oman in my favorite country and the Shangri La my favorite resort.

You won't regret it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now