Parking in St Ives August

(22 Posts)
Headfulahorlix Wed 27-Jan-16 19:21:53

Have booked St Ives holiday but am worried about parking. There are none with the apartment.

Any advice would be great.

Is parking there a nightmare? If I got a Rover ticket would there be a long queue into parking? Would it be better to book a space in a secure space? Its a 20 minute walk away though....

Unless you have some sort of allocated space somewhere then yes, parking will be a nightmare. Parking is at a severe premium and restrictions and time limits are strictly enforced.

However you may be able to buy a short-term parking pass for the time you're down there for use on a nearby car park. The Tourist Information Office should be able to help.

St Ives is gorgeous but it's absolutely not built for cars! Any chance you could take the train?

Pepperpot99 Wed 27-Jan-16 19:40:21

St Ives is beautiful but the parking situation is really bad. We stayed a few years back and the cost of renting an apartment with a (tiny, inadequate) parking space was loads higher than one without.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 27-Jan-16 19:43:53

We bought a 7 day parking ticket before we went although you don't get to pre-book a space as it were. We had to sit in the car park and wait for a space to come up. We didn't move the car all week though as chances are you won't get one again!

Eachleechsparethumb Wed 27-Jan-16 19:45:51

Parking is awful

Herrerarerra Wed 27-Jan-16 19:46:30

Nothing positive to add, it's a lovely place but parking is an absolute nightmare.

sleepwhenidie Wed 27-Jan-16 19:47:11

It's not so bad, especially if you don't need to actually move your car during your stay. Drive and unload your stuff near where you are staying then head for the leisure centre where there is almost always space, it's 5 mins walk down a lot of steps into town again.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 27-Jan-16 19:48:25

The one we park in was at the top of a hill and obviously our cottage was right at the bottom, least fun ever unloading and loading. We paid a premium the next year for a cottage with a parking space, which like pepperpot described was teeny tiny and once again once we'd wedge the car in it stayed there for the whole week.

Love St Ives though, fantastic place for a holiday

sleepwhenidie Wed 27-Jan-16 19:48:35

Actually, to be fair, it's not so bad providing you don't move the car, otherwise yes, pita.

24balloons Wed 27-Jan-16 19:50:28

We were ther last summer - I wouldn't go without parking unless you're not planning to use the car all week. Parking is a nightmare apart from something like after 6.30pm

Headfulahorlix Wed 27-Jan-16 20:09:19

Thank you! After your advice will use St Ives Parking company which guarantees a space. Phew!

Headfulahorlix Wed 27-Jan-16 20:15:26

My oh says parking is better in evening when tourists have driven away? Is this true?

Potterwolfie Wed 27-Jan-16 20:20:07

It's a gorgeous place to visit, make sure yo head to the Tate and Barbara Hepworth's studio/sculpture garden.

As for parking, it's a nightmare in most Cornish towns. I wonder if any local families rent out driveway space? I hope you find a solution and have an amazing holiday!

mummymeister Thu 28-Jan-16 14:46:46

OP - I think you need to check about st ives parking company. do they guarantee you a space nearby where you can move your car during your stay or is this a long stay equivalent like when you go on holiday and leave your car at the airport? We go to cornwall a fair bit (albeit mainly to the se bit) but I have never heard of them. would check with the cornwall tourist board, visit cornwall, to make sure you are getting what you want.

if you want to get around cornwall then the only way to do it is by car. public transport is intermittent at best and you will spend most of your time hanging around. plus lots of places are inaccessible.

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 28-Jan-16 20:08:23

Sounds like a private parking company that either rents out people's driveways or is on an industrial estate (and Miles from St Ives itself). The only long stay car parks I know of in st Ives are public ones and you can't reserve a space

Bunbaker Fri 29-Jan-16 08:26:17

We nearly came a cropper in Tenby over parking. There was no parking with the apartment, so we parked in the public car park near the hospital. One of us had to get up early every morning to feed the pay and display meter.

We will never book a UK cottage holiday again that doesn't offer parking.

I hope you find somewhere to park.

sleepwhenidie Fri 29-Jan-16 09:35:27

You can book a whole week's parking in one go in the council car parks in St Ives, and/or extend via the app (like Ringo but I don't think it is Ringo).

mummymeister Fri 29-Jan-16 15:54:16

the OP can pay for a space sleepwhenidie but this does not guarantee a dedicated space. just means when you do find one you don't have to pay for parking. the issue is that if the op goes out during the day when they come back the carpark might be full and that is there tough luck. they might just have to sit and wait until someone goes.

I cannot understand why anyone would come to cornwall on holiday and book to stay somewhere that doesn't have parking as it is a complete nightmare without.

sleepwhenidie Fri 29-Jan-16 17:47:03

Yes, my point was that you won't have to wake up every morning and physically go feed the meter as a pp did smile.

We go to St Ives several times a year, have done for 10+ years and I can only remember moving the car once parked about once in all that time (in a solid week of v bad weather). We're happy with everything there is in town, have been known to get the train to Penzance (that same week I think!) So for us it isn't a problem but I understand it's a hassle if you do want to venture out and about.

Paddingtonthebear Fri 29-Jan-16 17:49:30

We went midweek in rainy early June last year and had to sit and wait an hour in the car park for a parking space. Didn't dare move the car after that.

Paddingtonthebear Fri 29-Jan-16 17:50:17

Oh and we had pre booked a space! There just weren't any free hmm

FishWithABicycle Fri 29-Jan-16 18:10:38

We just went for a day trip the first time but after that I swore never to take the car there again. These days when we holiday in Cornwall any day trip to st Ives is by train (though that has it's own challenges when you want to leave at the same time as 1000 other tourists who had the same idea)

However, St Ives itself is small enough to walk around so if we had a holiday in the town itself I would book a permanent guaranteed space with no worries about how far away it was, and get a taxi to the car if it was beyond walking distance on the few occasions we had need to leave the town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now