Hire Car in US and Canada

(7 Posts)
divingworldchampion Wed 27-Jan-16 14:18:45

Wonder if anyone can help... This summer we are planning to fly to Boston, hire a car and make our way up to my Uncle's house in Canada via. Bar Harbour. We would then like to return back to Boston with this car. Will it be possible to take a US hire car into Canada and back or will it be a massive pain/impossible. One uncle says fine, t'other says don't do it. There are always different ways around it of course but this seems like the easiest. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

cavkc123 Wed 27-Jan-16 14:24:19

We visit my SIL in Canada and always hire a car there.

On most visits we drive down to Niagara then over to the US to visit the Buffalo Outlets. We've never had a problem with the hire car, in fact it's never even been mentioned.

divingworldchampion Thu 28-Jan-16 13:19:23

thanks cav thats really helpful.

JollyXmasJumper Thu 28-Jan-16 13:29:32

You can definitely do it but call beforehand as rentals have cars that must remain within the state's borders and others that you can take anywhere, including to Canada. They usually assume the former when you book, so definitely give them your itinerary. With a bit of notice they will have the "right" car ready. Beware of extra insurance costs!

Do you know which company you will be hiring from? HERTZ is a mess in the US bitter experiences.

divingworldchampion Thu 28-Jan-16 14:58:09

thanks jolly, no we don't, not got that far yet but will definitely give Hertz a swerve! Great info, thanks again.

JollyXmasJumper Thu 28-Jan-16 15:25:14

Happy to help! If you are renting from Boston, try not to get the car at the airport but from a downtown location - US airport taxes come usually to an extra $50 minimum. Priceline is great for comparing rental rates, and I usually use Enterprise when I need a car in the US. Avis is fine too. Always ask whether you could get an upgrade, works almost every time for me. Hope you have a great time!

divingworldchampion Thu 28-Jan-16 18:35:14

brilliant, that's super useful. Do you travel there a lot? Despite having threatened it every year, this will be our first trip to see the family so we are really looking forward to it. Travelling up to New Brunswick then Nova Scotia if you know those areas at all?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now