Where to go for last holiday out of school hols?

(17 Posts)
AvocadoOnToast Wed 27-Jan-16 09:53:30

DD1 starts school this coming Sept so we're looking to have a decent holiday before we're tied into school holidays. Thinking May/June, somewhere with things to do/see that aren't lounging on a beach all day (although some beach might be nice) appropriate for a just turned 4 year old and a just turned 1 year old. Anyone got any suggestions of anywhere a bit more adventurous than the Canaries? Thanks!

Mrscog Wed 27-Jan-16 11:23:39

How about Germany? I'm going to take ours to Playmobil land in Bavaria once DS2 is a bit older. It looks like an amazing place for a holiday. Or France? Some of the beaches in Brittany are amazing.

noramum Wed 27-Jan-16 14:20:15

Are you game for long-haul flights? Canada may be an option.

We went to Spain as I wanted a warm weather holiday and it gets very expensive outside term time. Majorca is great with children and you can do lots more than just building sand castles. May can be a bit hit and miss weather wise though.

Germany is great (I am biased, I am German) but tbh I wouldn't go there to avoid school holidays. We went several times as it is a great way for DD to speak it and there are lots of different areas like seaside, mountains and everything in between.

Mrscog - Playmobilland is great but it is not a fun park like Legoland or Chessington. Lots of places to play around, a huge indoor center with all the Playmobil your heart desires. We went there for one day and I think that was plenty.

DD was just 5 but we saw lots of smaller children as well as we went when Bavarian children were still in school.

lanbro Wed 27-Jan-16 14:27:52

We've just booked a Holiday Village in Spain in May for 11 nights. Just shy of £2k for 4 of us 4* all inclusive which I thought was a good deal. The free kids club run to British standards really appealed to us and has been recommended by several people.

lanbro Wed 27-Jan-16 14:29:17

Our dc will be 4 and 2.8 when we go.

AvocadoOnToast Wed 27-Jan-16 17:19:42

Good suggestions, thanks. We're wondering about long haul, but just unsure whether we can cope with the kids on a flight for that long without going insane!! Somewhere like Spain might be our best option though I think.

ceeveebee Wed 27-Jan-16 17:21:49

We're risking the Caribbean with our 4 yo twins in a few weeks time - it's their last holiday before starting school, my 40th and our 10th wedding anniversary all combined - but I am dreading the 8 hour overnight flight coming back!

Onykahonie Wed 27-Jan-16 19:24:00

Greece/Greek Islands are lovely at that time of year. Maybe a bit of island hopping or a dual centre stay?

mouldycheesefan Wed 27-Jan-16 21:21:48

Ceevee Where have you found for kids that looks good in Caribbean? I am always on the lookout. ..

AnneSansTete Wed 27-Jan-16 21:26:45

We're going to the beaches resort in Jamaica in November for last pre school holiday. Hopefully the waterslides will keep them happy if nothing else does. We went to Lanzarote last November, flight was fine and beaches and resorts were nice and quiet (full of oaps making a fuss of our boys!).

Also trying to do a few mid week overnight breaks - legoland, thomasland and London while we can take advantage of no queues and half the cost.

AvocadoOnToast Wed 27-Jan-16 21:35:26

Greek Islands sound like a great idea - good thinking Onyka! We had a lovely holiday in Crete when DD1 was about 15 months so we could explore other islands

Onykahonie Wed 27-Jan-16 21:49:41

A-O-T You can normally see fireflies in May (in Greece) which are quite magical for little ones. We've taken our dds to the Greek Islands since they were tiny...now 15 and 17 and going to mainland Greece for the first time this summer. Unfortunately, we're tied to school holidays, but would love to go back in low season.

ceeveebee Wed 27-Jan-16 22:29:45

Mouldy - Beach view apartments on west coast Barbados, booked through virgin - there isn't a kids club but we never use them anyway as our DC are very clingy and don't want to be apart from us (and tbh I want to be with them anyway!)

Self-catering, min 2 bed apartment, nice pool and walking distance to beach and restaurants are my main criteria. Fingers crossed its as good as the reviews!!

mouldycheesefan Thu 28-Jan-16 17:15:42

Thanks ceevee , Barbados west coast is lovely, great beaches, good restaurants and amazing sunsets. Thanks for the accommodation recommendation. I had a look, looks perfect. My kids do love a load of activities on holiday though! Kids clubs are important to them at age 9!

Blu Thu 28-Jan-16 17:53:52

Sardinia or Sicily?
Southern Spain- Nerja, or the coast S of Seville?

What sort of set up do you like? Self catering villa and local markets? Hotel?

AvocadoOnToast Mon 01-Feb-16 20:01:46

We'd definitely want to self-cater - we like to have the flexibility it brings. We like to be able to walk to restaurants etc without it being too touristy

Misty9 Sun 07-Feb-16 23:39:14

We're in the same boat op and so far have booked a week in Lake garda at the end of April. Will be staying in a mobile home and it's looking to come in around £1k for the four of us including flights, accommodation and spending smile

Still pondering other options to make the most of the last non school holiday year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now