Zika infections - if travelling to South America and Cape verde see new advice

(15 Posts)
mummymeister Sat 23-Jan-16 10:39:05

Hi everyone, have already posted in Long haul but knowing this is a busy time for holiday bookings wanted to make sure everyone knew.

www.gov.uk/guidance/zika-virus

By 18 January 2016, countries in the Americas with confirmed locally-acquired cases included:

•Barbados, Brazil Colombia Ecuador El Salvador French Guiana Guatemala Guyana Haiti Honduras Martinique Mexico Panama Paraguay Puerto Rico Saint Martin Suriname Venezuela and Cape Verde.

particularly an issue for pregnant women and those trying to conceive.

You cannot get a jab against this, the same as dengue and chikungunya.

AuntieStella Sat 23-Jan-16 10:46:38

There are also threads in Pregnancy and in chat, and an article about it is in the front page of the BBC website today.

mummymeister Sat 23-Jan-16 10:59:06

I know AuntieStella its just that quite a lot of MN seem to go to one or two forums and don't look across the whole site. I post in travel a fair bit but also in other places and just think we need to get the information out to people before they book so that everyone is aware. the consequences of contracting this disease in pregnancy are pretty horrific.

tomatodizzy Sat 23-Jan-16 11:06:33

Zika is fine if you are not pregnant or TTC! No one where I live in rural Brazil is worried unless they are pregnant. You get a rash and a fever. If you are healthy and well nourished you will recover in the same way as you recover from the flu.

On a side note, there will probably be a Dengue vaccine very soon which is very welcome news.

AuntieStella Sat 23-Jan-16 11:08:32

Yes, I know.

I thought I was being helpful in mentioning the other threads here (to show that they exist and a lot of MN is covered). And also to bump this one.

My apologies everyone for getting it wrong, yet again.

mummymeister Sat 23-Jan-16 11:11:54

don't apologise AuntieStella. the more people get to know the right advice the better. fingers crossed on the dengue vaccine, I have been watching this with interest.

AuntieStella Sat 23-Jan-16 11:14:56

No, I still feel an apology is necessary to the wider MN community for yet another unwelcome post.

dhare1 Sun 24-Jan-16 21:40:00

Thomson Holidays and First Choice Holidays do not recognise Cape Verde as having Zika Virus so you may find you have trouble getting refunds/ changing your holiday - I'm currently in this situation would have no problem going if I wasn't 25 weeks pregnant.

They won't change my flights until the FCO put out a specific warning for Cape Verde. Staff in shops also giving out its "safe as far as they are concerned" advice.

So please be wary if pregnant and check all advice before traveling or booking. Trying to get their attention via twitter but seems to be falling on deaf ears any retweets greatly appreciated twitter.com/HareDawn/status/691344415592468485
I've already decided I'll not go whatever happens but want to help awareness for all pregnant women!

mummymeister Sun 24-Jan-16 23:20:16

dhare1 what a horrible situation for you to be in. I thought they had confirmed cape verde? is it worth writing to the FCO specifically and asking for their advice? did first choice refuse to swop your booking? I would post this in AIBU for traffic as there are a lot of bloggers and tweeters on there who will retweet this.

Tollygunge Mon 25-Jan-16 13:35:43

I'm in same position. We risk losing eight grand as a family if we can't go to Cape Verde in April

mummymeister Mon 25-Jan-16 13:52:23

Tollygunge - go over to the AIBU threads on MN. there is one on there about Thomsons holidays.

the advice about Cape Verde has just been changed I think so that you should be able to get a new date if you contact them.

have you spoken to your insurance company? what do they say?

dhare1 Mon 25-Jan-16 14:11:00

Tollygunge - Thomson just changed my Cape Verde booking and refunded difference as now going to canaries, they claim they have now got the message on Cape Verde so you should be able to change.

mummymeister Mon 25-Jan-16 14:21:28

BBC map shows the countries affected.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35399403

4,000 cases of babies born with microcephaly in Brasil alone since October 2015. less than 4 months. that is one hell of a spread and very worrying.

Tollygunge Mon 25-Jan-16 17:52:50

Seems they're still giving out conflicting advice on Thomson. I rang and was told they would change it for free- but I want a refund, we were going there to meet friends! My dad was told at the same time-we rang seperately- we would lose 30% of our price paid.

mummymeister Mon 25-Jan-16 23:03:57

don't know how to use twitter but that might be the best way to get this sorted if we can get it tweeted around. have a look at the thread on AIBU board as there is some good info there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now