Travelling with an 7+3week old - what to take?!

(11 Posts)
Hollyhock84 Thu 21-Jan-16 11:36:21

Hello smile - I'm planning to travel to Spain when my baby is 7weeks and 3 days. First of all, just wanted to hear from anyone that has done this, was it OK as vaccinations are at 8 weeks? I've read on NHS that swimming is fine as chlorine destroys bacteria and there is nothing to say they aren't allowed to travel.

I also wanted advice on what to take. Thinking the pram with carry cot attachment will double up as a bed at night as i'm unsure as to whether I want baby sleeping on mattress provided in the accommodation :-/ Any advice welcomed! Thanks in advance, H x

scandichick Thu 21-Jan-16 11:38:37

First thing I'd pack is a sling!

If you're formula feeding you probably need to check if your brand is available in Spain.

Themodernuriahheep Thu 21-Jan-16 11:43:43

Are you ebf ing? If not, buy some water as soon as you arrive, I got into our accommodation v late and saw water was not drinkable and freaked. Mine was older though.

I found it useful to have something to push the baby in, as they can get heavy..

You should be able to buy every thing you need, tbh, but take your red book with you, in case you do need to find a doctor, as well as your ehic.

I've never worried about cots, because we all travelled in my family from the age of a few weeks and drawers from chests of drawers make perfectly acceptable cots, with a blanket folded inside and over the wooden edges. So a couple of cot sheets as well as whatever the baby sleeps in, and possibly a plastic sheet.

Themodernuriahheep Thu 21-Jan-16 11:45:37

They get cold v quickly in water, so warm towel for after. I haven't swum with such a young one and am not the person to advise.

Themodernuriahheep Thu 21-Jan-16 11:46:27

But if it's going to be v sunny you need a parasol.

UsernamesAreAPainInTheBalls Thu 21-Jan-16 11:58:01

Mines a little older (4 months) but we're just back from a long haul holiday with her and it was all fine
I took used pram wheels with car seat clicked on top just around the airport etc and checked the bassinet part in with our suitcases (this was included in baby's baggage allowance) . I took some Moses basket sheets that fit the pram and she slept in that every night it was fine.
I second the suggestion of a sling I never thought to bring one but saw loads of mums with them and it seemed so handy
I don't know if it applies to you but I took loads of ready made cartons of formula and a cheap steam steriliser and the hotel gave us a microwave and I also took Milton tablets just incase a microwave wasn't available
You can get Milton wipes which I found great for cleaning her toys/soothers etc and also for cleaning the counter before preparing the bottles (we were in Mexico so I was really cleanliness concious)
Re swimming I didn't really let my lo in the pool the sun was really strong so she was in the shade most of the time but I took her in to paddle her feet and cool her down every so often I got some baby uv suits and a hat from next and she wore those everyday plus a parasol for the pram
Another thing I saw people with which I'm defo gonna buy for future holidays is a fan for the pram I've seen them on amazon since we got back they're pretty inexpensive and would prob be nice to cool baby down if it's hot
I was worried sick about bringin my baby away to the point of almost cancelling the holiday but it was fine we had a ball and she was so good once you're well prepared you'll be grand smile

UsernamesAreAPainInTheBalls Thu 21-Jan-16 11:59:27

*used pram wheels not took used pram wheels confused

specialsubject Thu 21-Jan-16 12:22:42

there is a possible question about sunscreen on babies under six months. Get it a full UV suit and hat and it needs to be in the shade all the time. Careful about reflections.

I'd put a bit of sunscreen on the face, but that's just me. Doesn't matter if it is cloudy and temperature is irrelevant, you are going nearer the equator.

snowypenguin Thu 21-Jan-16 13:35:02

Just be hopeful you get a passport through in time.

mummymeister Thu 21-Jan-16 15:08:02

I don't think swimming is fine personally. you have no idea how much chlorine is being added to the pool. too much and they might have a reaction and too little and they could catch a bug. personally would not be comfortable taking them in a pool until after they have had their first jabs but that is just me.

how are you going to protect from mosquitos?

good luck with the passport, same every year that they take ages.

itsmeyouknow Fri 04-Mar-16 14:13:58

I'm also planning a bread with LO, and have spotted the mosquito prevention stickers (jojomaman bebe has them, as do amazon) - these or something similar might be useful too. They're called mosquitan I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now