Do you take your dc away abroad on your own?

(5 Posts)
CharleyDavidson Sat 09-Jan-16 19:34:14

If so, what are your best tips?

DH doesn't like to travel outside the UK and we have a lovely family holiday in Devon every year, which we all enjoy. But as I teach and have a lot more holidays than he does, I've started taking the DCs (11 and 14) away more. We've done static holidays, a city break to London on the train and last year I took them to Disneyland Paris for 4 nights.

This year, to make more use of the passports now we've got them, I've booked a week in Menorca.

I am going to a place where friends of mine go and they will be there at the same time, so not too complicated.

What tips do you have for travelling short haul with teens/pre teens? Packing/planning etc?

TIA

DragonRojo Sun 10-Jan-16 21:21:36

Don't forget the chargers and make sure their phones have roaming disabled. Apart from that, I just tend to throw a few clothes in a suitcase and go.

KingLooieCatz Mon 11-Jan-16 16:13:12

I nearly went into meltdown before we took DFS to Spain. My DB had to remind me they do have children in Spain as well. Now we don't need bottles/sterilizer etc we just bung stuff in a bag. Not that I go abroad that often. Yours will be beyond sterilizing by the sound of things, maybe new books, games that pack up small as TV, if there is any, will be forrin.

Bunbaker Thu 14-Jan-16 22:23:49

I have. When DD was 13 we went to Lake Garda for a week while OH was working abroad. I took her to Rome in October (she was 15 by then). This year I am planning to take her to Florida.

ShanghaiDiva Sat 16-Jan-16 12:20:39

Many times - Seoul, Hong Kong, Thailand, Burma - the two weeks in Thailand when dd was 3 and ds 9 drove me batty as they wanted to spend all day every day on the beach so now plan for a mixture of activities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now