Anyone been to a Christmas market abroad?

(6 Posts)
Questionsquestionsquestions Sat 09-Jan-16 19:19:36

...I'm just looking for very rough ballpark figures for how much it cost you. I know it can vary from place to place, how you travelled, length of stay etc - but I'm trying to get an idea of whether we can save up for this Winter, and you can't get any quotes or estimates as Eurostar/flights etc only run for the next 6 months on their timetables. And I don't know much prices will be inflated in Nov/Dec.

Any rough ideas from those who've done this kind of thing?
Thanks smile

Sushiqueen Sat 09-Jan-16 21:14:22

Did the Christmas markets in Bremen Dec15 and Koln Dec 2014.
Both times we flew Ryanair with only hand luggage.
For Koln it cost about £330 for 2 of us staying 2 nights b&b at the Hilton near the Cathedral including the flights.
This year it cost me about £250 for my share including flights and 2 nights b&b at a very nice hotel.
Places like Koln tend to be slightly cheaper than Munich and Nuremburg but it will depend on what type of hotel you want to stay in.
We booked our trips each time about 3 months in advance.
Will be back again this year 😀

AssembleTheMinions Sat 09-Jan-16 21:24:50

I went to Prague for 3 nights last month. Flights and B&B in a well located 4* hotel came in around £150pp.

Beautiful city and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Christmas markets were good but quite a few all selling the same things so not as much variety as I would have liked.

Questionsquestionsquestions Sat 09-Jan-16 21:32:52

Thank you - that's really helpful.

crazycatguy Sat 09-Jan-16 21:53:31

We went to Zurich in December - BA flights direct, £90, £110 per night for a decent central hotel.

Big market largely comprising of food and drink. Zurich very pretty but insanely expensive, a coffee was £6.50!

salsamummy Fri 15-Jan-16 16:13:28

We went to Cologne with tailormade rail 18th December for 3 nights. Couldn't fault it was really lovely. Changed from eurostar in Belgium. Took less than 5 hours door to door. We paid approx £700. 2 adults and 1 child bed and breakfast 4 star hotel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now