Where should 2 quiet 18yo girls go on holiday in Spain?

(34 Posts)
Katymac Wed 30-Dec-15 19:36:55

They want a beach, not too many clubs/pubs

Possibly all inclusive, not a going out & getting drunk holiday, definitely close to a beach

I think they should get a package (for safety)

Any ideas?

defineme Wed 30-Dec-15 19:50:32

Puerto pollensa in mallorca is a lovely family resort with massive main beach plus little coves. Lots of nice bars and restaurants around a central square. Very safe atmosphere, but no clubs if they wanted them.
Tossa Del Mar in spain's costa brava has a little bit more going on with discos etc but is still a small safe family resort unlike somewhere like Lloret de mar next to it..
I think a package is ideal as they will get the coach to the resort and have a rep if they need one.

Katymac Wed 30-Dec-15 20:00:48

Tossa Del Mar sounds nice - I'll have a look at that

I think they'd prefer mainland

Donthate Wed 30-Dec-15 20:13:10

Has the one and only club in pollensa shut down? I remember many happy nights in there

thelaundryfairy Wed 30-Dec-15 20:17:59

How about Barcelona? They can enjoy the city sightseeing as well as the beaches and in terms of social life there is everything from everyday bars to the big clubs like Pacha.

Katymac Wed 30-Dec-15 20:18:38

Flying from Stansted - god I wish I hadn't got involved

defineme Wed 30-Dec-15 23:08:01

I have to say if they are after quiet and they're inexperienced then a major European city like Barcelona will be far too much to cope with-i love Barcelona but it has some dodgy areas and all the things it sounds like op wants to avoid.i travelled through the middle east in my late teens but I think these girls just want a no hassle relax on a beach which is fair enough.
An all inclusive resort hotel would be much more what she's asking for.

Kbear Wed 30-Dec-15 23:10:58

Caleta de Fuste - Fuerteventura

10 mins from airport

We go there for the diving - it's a nice family place, with some bars but not 18-30 crowd - massive beach

Kbear Wed 30-Dec-15 23:12:13

DD is 16 - we took her friend with us last summer - I feel they are safe there, it's pretty much all quiet by 1am.

Kbear Wed 30-Dec-15 23:14:00

Barcelo Castillo Beach is good location but cheaper all inclusives there also - San Jorge/Antigua is another one.

Themodernuriahheep Wed 30-Dec-15 23:14:17

Porto de Soller Majorca. A few discos, beach, family area.

Katymac Thu 31-Dec-15 08:37:11

Thanks for th eideas - I'll have another look after I've done some work (yuk - I hate tax returns)

zoemaguire Thu 31-Dec-15 08:46:00

They should surely be planning it themselves! As for safety, crikey lots of 18yos will be travelling round the world. It's Spain. Let them do it without having their hands held, a package sounds so dull.

zoemaguire Thu 31-Dec-15 08:52:34

Also, just read that you wish you hadn't got involved. So step back! I get that they don't want to wander the Hindu kush, but even so they'll get a lot more from the experience if they've researched and chosen it for themselves. I was a quiet 18yo. Travelling at that age (much, much further afield) set me up for life. I nudged myself out of my comfort zone, but maybe in this case the nudge needs to be from you, rather than being the voice saying oooo risky, how about an easy package trip...

Katymac Thu 31-Dec-15 18:19:08

I've been asked to help otherwise I wouldn't

Thanks for the ideas everyone

zoemaguire Thu 31-Dec-15 21:42:27

Didn't mean to sound like an arse, sorry. I didn't imagine you were forcing your assistance on them, more thinking that they might need encouragement to research and plan it for themselves.

Katymac Thu 31-Dec-15 22:16:22

I think DD is concerned her friend will back out if it's not exactly what they want

DD is quite a young 18 despite living away from home

VinylScratch Thu 31-Dec-15 22:19:49

Torremolinos was quite nice when I was last there, didn't notice any stag/hen parties like you get in places like Benidorm, it was quite chilled out.

Katymac Thu 31-Dec-15 22:53:56

My parents suggested that - nice to know it's the same as it was when they went

NickiFury Thu 31-Dec-15 23:15:00

I second Torremolinos or just down the coast is Benalmadena with a lovely harbour and Old Town. I'd by happy with my teenagers going there also Fuertaventura a bit further along too. It's really easy to get to all by one bus that goes up and down the coast.

Katymac Thu 31-Dec-15 23:16:15

Which airport is that (in Spain)?

NickiFury Thu 31-Dec-15 23:17:31

Malaga. Easy taxi or train direct from the airport to Benalmadena or Torremolinos.

NickiFury Thu 31-Dec-15 23:18:32

The train is literally at the airport, you walk across to it and get on a train that travels along the coast to whichever stop you need. No changes.

Katymac Thu 31-Dec-15 23:25:33

Now I just need to find a package from stansted - tbh I can see why the girls were struggling

NickiFury Thu 31-Dec-15 23:28:59

I honestly don't think a package is necessary. It's a lovely laid back place. All the hotel staff speak English and couldn't be more helpful, I could recommend you a hotel if you like. To be perfectly honest there's plenty of British people, families etc, there will always be someone on hand to help,if they needed it, which I very much doubt they would. It's a place I would fell comfortable letting my teenagers go and I am painfully over protective smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now