Best way to take currency to Australia?

(8 Posts)
Jivetoes Fri 18-Dec-15 19:58:48

I am traveling to Australia-Brisbane for 3 weeks at easter with my ds 10. Very excited as its our first trip out there to visit family we have only seen once before! I have only ever been to European destinations an family in Spain aside from long haul as a teen, so have always taken mainly cash and withdrawn from my main bank account if I needed. This isn't really an option for Australia of cause! Ive seen the pre paid cards which I like the idea of but was wondering if anyone has experience and can recommend the easiest/best way to do it! Thank you!

snowypenguin Fri 18-Dec-15 20:16:21

We just use a currency card. I use fairfx.

ShanghaiDiva Sat 19-Dec-15 14:26:31

Have always used cashpoint to withdraw money from my current account. Exchange rate was decent and low charges.

specialsubject Sat 19-Dec-15 15:13:18

what you normallly do is ENTIRELY an option for Australia, they are quite civilised and have cash machines. They also accept credit cards - as always abroad, select the option to pay in local currency not sterling, otherwise you'll get a very bad exchange rate.

tell your bank where you are going and your card will work in their machines. Take a float of 100 bucks obtained in advance.

if your bank is part of the Global Alliance or similar, you can save some money on withdrawals.

Manopaws Sat 26-Dec-15 21:26:51

Take gold hidden in you socks

TheChimpParadox Sun 10-Jan-16 22:29:48

We went in the summer. This took Aussie dollars cash. DH got them when exchange rate was looking good - had been planning trip for a year.

Hotels we stayed in had safes in rooms so locked excess cash away in that. Also had cards.

AuditAngel Sun 10-Jan-16 22:45:25

I used my debit card to withdraw cash from my current account in Australia

BIWI Sun 10-Jan-16 22:48:30

I've just come back from Sydney, where I was able to use my debit card to draw money from my account.

Quite how much I will have been charged for that, I don't know!

I took $500 in cash, which turned out not to have been enough. If I go again for 3 weeks, I'd take out at least $750 in cash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now