Beijing with 2 DCs by myself

(7 Posts)
TheGrandPooBah Wed 09-Dec-15 06:31:01

DH, our 2 DCs and I are stopping off overnight in Beijing on the way Down Under, which we're looking forward to. However, he's returning home before us, so I will be travelling home alone later with the DCs. Am a bit nervous about stopping off in Beijing with the DCs by myself on the way back but the alternative is 9 hours hanging around the airport. Anyone done it? Any tips?

MumofAAndE Wed 09-Dec-15 07:11:11

Not Beijing, but have stopped over with 2 kids on my own several times on UK to Aus flights mostly in Dubai and Korea. I have never had a problem. I think you'll be fine. Korea had less English signs & English speakers etc but the 'stop over' concept was well established so was obvious where to go and what to do. Quite honestly the thought of not stopping on that horrific journey fills me with more fear!

AnyoneButSanta Wed 09-Dec-15 07:30:20

I was intrigued by this so I googled.
www.layoverguide.com/2015/01/beijing-layover.html
Turns out that the Great Wall of China is about an hour away from the airport so if your inbound flight is on time you could go there! Just add money - googling suggests there's a few firms aimed at English speakers who provide exactly this service.

TheGrandPooBah Thu 10-Dec-15 13:28:04

Thanks, all - I feel a lot better now, and that link is very helpful.

bojorojo Thu 10-Dec-15 20:56:03

Depends what time of year! Beijing is pretty cold in the winter. The great wall is remote and exposed and you might need a very warm coat, gloves and possibly snow shoes! Overnight is limiting to see anything. What is near the hotel? They can probably offer you a whirlwind trip to see something. Beijing is pretty easy and the signs are good at the airport. What does the concierge service offer?

honeyroar Mon 28-Dec-15 13:34:05

I'm in Beijing now. It's -5 with snow on the ground and very, very smoggy. It would be clearer air at the wall, but even colder, you'd need big coats. There was a threat against western tourists last week, so there are a lot of police around. Last week it seemed much more relaxed. The Forbidden city would be easiest to visit for a quick day out.

zazas Fri 08-Jan-16 23:04:15

Hi I was just in Beijing (twice) with my 8 year old. On the way through we stopped at Beijing airport with an 8 hour layout - too long of course but too short to head out and do anything - the traffic is a nightmare! Although found plenty to do - put the kid on a baggage trolley and wheeled her around the place (it is huge!) took most of the time smile

Then we were back in Beijing for three days and found it brilliant. If your hotel is near the metro then I would suggest using it - super easy to use (place names in English), cheep and way faster than a taxi. We loved the Summer Palace - great combination of Chinese history with lots of space to run around in. Also enjoyed the Olympic Park area! Food everywhere was amazing!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now