can i find toddler milk in Spain (sma)

(40 Posts)
corinnexx Wed 26-Aug-15 12:23:53

Hi im going to travel next week with my toddler to Spain ( cambrils). People have told me that i will not find his milk out there (SMA TODDLERS MILK) Does anybody know what else i can use for him .Should i take a few with me?

ruddynorah Wed 26-Aug-15 12:32:51

How about just actual milk? Why does he have toddler sma?

TheBeautifulAndTheDamned Wed 26-Aug-15 12:33:50

What is toddler milk?
Why not give him milk?

NerrSnerr Wed 26-Aug-15 12:35:12

Can he just have cows milk?

WhyDoesGastonBark Wed 26-Aug-15 12:37:11

Maybe not SMA but yes you can get toddler milk. My husbands family live out there, their DS is the same age as mine, everytime we go out to visit she has the suitable equivalent of milk that I would have used at the
Time back here.

corinnexx Wed 26-Aug-15 12:50:51

have not tried him on cows milk yet, i was scared it might give him an upset stomach on holiday..

corinnexx Wed 26-Aug-15 12:52:23

Do you no what the toddler mike is called in spain. The only main shop i know i have is a Michelangelo in salou

mabythesea Wed 26-Aug-15 12:53:42

Toddler milk is just cow's milk with sugar and additives.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 26-Aug-15 12:55:14

Do you give him yoghurts and cheese? Is he allowed cream on anything? If so, you are giving him cow's milk, so he will be fine if you give him it to drink too.

If your toddler is eating shop bought cakes, bread, biscuits etc, then in all likelihood these contain cow's milk too.

Helenluvsrob Wed 26-Aug-15 12:56:07

You are travelling next week - get him onto cows milk now , preferably UHT as that's easy to get everywhere on the continent ( and tastes a wee but different to fresh).

Toddler milk is an unnecessary marketing ploy

corinnexx Wed 26-Aug-15 12:56:18

scared to give cows milk on holiday.Might mess around with his belly

Backforthis Wed 26-Aug-15 12:56:43

Does he have cereal with milk?

corinnexx Wed 26-Aug-15 12:57:16

ok thanks allot. i will try cows milk maybe and see how it goes

mabythesea Wed 26-Aug-15 12:57:25

You're not going for a week, give him some cow's milk now confused

corinnexx Wed 26-Aug-15 12:57:53

no i use his toddler milk with his breakfast

ImNotAFlower Wed 26-Aug-15 13:00:01

Start cows milk now before you go? If not can't you buy it in boots at the airport and take it with you? Or pack ready made/tub in your suitcase (I don't know the current rules about taking food out of the country).
How much of it does he have? Like the others said if he has yoghurt, milk on cereal, cheese etc cows milk won't upset his stomach

PooFlower Wed 26-Aug-15 13:00:25

How old is he?
He will be fine on ordinary milk and you have time to try him before you go. Try him with one drink of cows milk each day up to when you go.
Toddler milk is just a money making con.

Lj8893 Wed 26-Aug-15 13:03:51

I didn't think anybody continued to use formula after a year old. Bizarre and a waste of money!

AndNowItsSeven Wed 26-Aug-15 13:05:35

Regular baby formula is fine for a toddler if you don't want to use cows milk. My twins age 18 months drink SMA LF as does my 6 month old.

corinnexx Wed 26-Aug-15 13:06:35

he Has just turned 2. I did try him a few months ago with cows milk i don't think he noticed any difference, but he had diarrhoea for 3 weeks. if this was the milk, not to sure, but it all happen the same time i changed.With my little monster he seems to pick up belly bugs all the time, With new foods,drinks.

BertrandRussell Wed 26-Aug-15 13:08:34

Oh this toddler milk thing makes me so cross! It was only invented because formula companies weren't allowed to advertise baby formula!

Lj8893 Wed 26-Aug-15 13:20:44

And you didn't think to take him to a doctor? Or are you planning to give him formula the rest of his life?

cjt110 Wed 26-Aug-15 13:25:58

We got our Son a brand called Hero in Gran Canaria. They did their version of Aptimil and also SMA. BE warned though - the SMA and Aptimil tubs cost approx £20 - Yes £20! We got the hero stuff (made by heinz) and it was £10.

We had to get the milk from a pharmacy as they dont stock it in supermarkets over there - unless its flavored baby milk like with honey etc.

Have a good hol!

corinnexx Wed 26-Aug-15 13:26:55

I always taking him to doctor's, All they say is its normal, for his age to get lots of upset

When mine were that age, I remember being told about 'Toddler Diarrhoea' - if I remember right, it was attributed to them being much more active, and that causing the runs, plus teething.

New foods won't be giving him a stomach bug - that would be due to a bacterial or viral infection.

I would gradually introduce cows milk - mix it 75/25 with his toddler milk, and gradually reduce the percentage of toddler milk and increase the percentage of normal milk, until he is on just milk.

Tbh, at 1 year old, all mine were on normal milk - I never used toddler milks as I thought they were just a rip-off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now