Pooling luggage allowance

(30 Posts)
Ardha Tue 28-Jul-15 17:22:53

Is it possible to pool your luggage allowances when flying with Easyjet?
There are 4 of us but only 2 or possibly 3 cases. Can I pack more than 20kgs in each cas without paying extra?

magentastardust Tue 28-Jul-15 18:25:19

No I don't think you can pool nowadays -I think the limit is per bag per person.

ginmakesitallok Tue 28-Jul-15 18:29:37

Google is your friend www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/baggage

mummymeister Wed 29-Jul-15 10:21:07

the weight limit per item is there because of the Health and safety implications of lifting one massive really heavy bag. that's why things like animal feed come in 20kg bags. its all to do with the lifting and handling regs.

Artandco Wed 29-Jul-15 10:25:25

No. But 20kg is loads! X2 cases at 20kg will be plenty for 4 people.

As an idea we take x2 medium cases skiing for 4 people. That's are around 12kg each. That's including ski boots and helmets as well as clothing.

Ardha Wed 29-Jul-15 12:29:16

Our stuff must be heavy, already exceeding 40kgs in total, but not by much.

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 29-Jul-15 12:35:39

You can pool. We had three bags max in total 60kg so actually 25kg each in two bags, I think that no one bag can be over 25kg despite the heavy lifting limit being 32kg but can't be sure.

Ardha Wed 29-Jul-15 13:06:39

Anotherdayanothersquabble, was actually hoping to be able to have more than 40kgs in two bags as we have actually paid for 3 but OH is not sure he can fit all 3 in car now.

Using the bathroom scales I have got 2 cases weighing in at 40kgs, my travelling scales are not very accurate.

dementedpixie Wed 29-Jul-15 13:22:43

I know for our Thomson holiday we couldn't have any one bag over 23kg

Artandco Wed 29-Jul-15 13:25:19

Just take less? What can you possible fit in? Unless they are huge suitcases even full they rarely go over 15 kg

I think your taking too much

As another idea, we took far far less than that for 2 months travelling with x2 children under 18 months. You def have too much

Aside, a 30kg case will be virtually impossible to carry if you have to carry up stairs at all at destination.

Ardha Wed 29-Jul-15 14:36:23

Perhaps they are heavy cases, they are not huge.

Ardha Wed 29-Jul-15 15:28:50

I now remember why I don't come on here, I asked a question about pooling luggage allowances so, if I go slightly over the limit for two cases would I get charged or not, as I have paid for 3. I asked because I could not find the answer on the easyjet website although, of course, no one could know from my question whether or not I had tried that already.

In stead of answering the question I have received several replies from people stating I am taking too much for 4 people, despite not saying what the people's needs were, where or for how long we were travelling.

I am glad some people are able to travel lightly, perhaps they know for sure they are travelling somewhere where they know the brands of nappies, sunscreen, etc are suitable for their use, maybe they can afford to buy everything they need where they are going, and afford to be able to leave it behind afterwards.

That is all fantastic, you are so lucky, but it doesn't answer the question I asked.

LIZS Wed 29-Jul-15 16:14:37

You will be surcharged for any bag over 20 kg, even if you had booked 3 and took 2.

dementedpixie Wed 29-Jul-15 16:53:10

from the link given earlier:

You can pool your total luggage weight allowance – across items and across customers – but an individual item cannot weigh more than 32 kg.

So, each passenger with two items of 20kg hold luggage has a total weight allowance of 40kg. They could pool their luggage allowance by bringing one bag weighing 23kg and one bag weighing 17kg. 

OR

Two passengers on the same booking, each with one 20kg item of hold luggage, have a total luggage allowance of 40kg. So they could pool their combined luggage allowance by bringing one bag weighing 22kg and one bag weighing 18kg.

dementedpixie Wed 29-Jul-15 16:54:16

p.s. We took 4 cases on holiday for 4 people at around 17/18kg each as we don't travel light!

pippop1 Wed 29-Jul-15 16:57:53

Take a soft bag (unfilled) for the extra stuff. Put it inside the car on your laps.

Put the extra stuff in black plastic sacks - stuff them around what is in the boot. At the airport pack the stuff in the plastic sacks into the soft unfilled bag.

That's your 3rd bag.

LIZS Wed 29-Jul-15 17:01:43

Hmm , when we weighed in our bag at end of May it was 20.8kg and they wanted to charge us £10 extra. We repacked shoes into hand luggage and it was then 19kg and ok.

AlisonBlunderland Wed 29-Jul-15 17:02:02

Really useful tip pippop flowers

pippop1 Thu 30-Jul-15 15:57:46

Thanks!

My cousins used to go on holiday in their car to a coate taking loads of stuff and only in black bags. They said that tons more went into their boot if you used black bags as the items filled every last corner.

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 30-Jul-15 16:03:21

You can have 50kg in two bags if you have paid for 3. (definetly true, you might get away with more but that would be risky based on my vague memory of the 25kg limit)

LIZS Thu 30-Jul-15 16:11:38

Couldn't find anything on that link suggesting you can pool allowances above 20 kg per bag.

RoscoPColtrane Thu 30-Jul-15 16:12:47

We generally pay for 3 then have 2 heavy at just over 20kg and check in a 3rd lighter bag instead of carrying it as hand luggage

addictedtosugar Thu 30-Jul-15 16:22:07

LIZS its well hidden, but down near the bottom it does mention pooling luggage.

Ardha might be worth having a small, light third case, so they account for att 3bags??

dementedpixie Thu 30-Jul-15 16:27:35

The link I put on suggested bags over 20kg

dementedpixie Thu 30-Jul-15 16:28:38

I copied and pasted the pooling info earlier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now