Anyone been to Cape Verde?

(9 Posts)
Siennasun Tue 14-Jul-15 23:28:04

I'm thinking of going in January with DH and DS who will be 3. Looking at the Melia Dunas on Sal. It seems very cheap at under £2k for 5* AI for family of 3. Is it too good to be true?

VicklePickle Wed 15-Jul-15 16:28:33

Hi, I've been and loved it. Not much to do on the rest of island so need to make sure hotel has enough to keep you occupied. AI was a complete luxury and meant an enjoyable holiday was had by all. I am sure prices will increase soon as it becomes more popular

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 15-Jul-15 17:12:34

A good friend told me not to book when I was about to go. Apparently there is absolutely nothing outside of the hotels, nothing at all.

Also, it is incredibly windy and the sea was too rough to swim in (as in they were forbidden to go in the water). She said it was dullest, most disappointing holiday ever.

triplets Thu 16-Jul-15 08:25:27

My god daughter retd only y/day! She said she has fallen in love with it, must say the beach and sea looked to die for!

happyh0tel Fri 17-Jul-15 08:43:17

I went swimming in the sea

I went on buggy ride round the island & to the salt mines

I went swimming with lemon sharks

Horse riding is fantastic for experts & beginners

It is very windy !

Beaches are fantastic

Local food is good = seafood

Good place for photographs

TheHormonalHooker Fri 17-Jul-15 08:50:29

We went to Boa Vista in March last year. We did a last minute booking and paid £1200 for the two of us.

We've fallen in love with it, too. It's so beautiful, but windy. When we went it was chilly of an evening and could be in the morning too. The beaches are gorgeous. We wanted to go back this year but I couldn't travel that far, according to DH we're going again next year!

happyh0tel Fri 17-Jul-15 20:12:57

if you like reading take plenty with you

It is a good place for water sports, canoeing, wind surfing, sailing, kite surfing, walk or run on the beach

Siennasun Fri 17-Jul-15 20:33:44

Thanks for the replies!
what we want is somewhere that will be hot (hotter than the canaries) in January, without too far to fly. We want a nice, family friendly resort to keep our toddler happy. Has anyone been with kids/toddlers?
Someone told me there's no hospital/medical centre. None of us have any health problems but that did worry me a little bit. Does anyone know if that's true?

happyh0tel Sat 18-Jul-15 14:08:49

I dont think Cape Verde is in the EU, so your E111 probably wont provide free medical cover. So if anything happened you will have to pay, as in visiting alot of countries.

Get travel insurance

I am sure I saw a hospital on the island of Sal in the capital

As on any holiday, be sensible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now