Cornwall, near newquay

(14 Posts)
Heels99 Tue 07-Jul-15 13:46:08

hi we go to a village near newquay with dcs and other family members every summer. We tend to do the same things so looking for some different options please.
We generally do watergate bay, various beaches, bedruthan steps, newquay harbour, trerice, crealy, fist ral etc
Don't want to drive for an hour anywhere and not big padstow fans
Also is there somewhere lovely we could go for lunch, have done Jamie Oliver, scArlet hotel and various fish restaurants.

Fancy a boat trip but need a boat with toilet on board and they all seem to be small fishing boats

Thanks in advance

Millymollymama Tue 07-Jul-15 14:28:28

Port Isaac. Nathan Outlaw has his small bites restaurant there "Outlaws Kitchen" - not the 2* Michelin, the smaller one in the harbour. I think Rock and the ferry to Padstow is pleasant. St Enodoc church is worth the walk. Also the Camel Trail might be of interest and Boscastle is pleasant. Obviously, the Eden Project and St Ives isn't too far in the other direction. Truro Cathedral is a pleasant trip too. We like lunch at Hotel Tresanton in St Mawes and it is worth the trip! It has a fabulous terrace. The coastal walks around St Agnes are also good and The Lugger at Looe is worth a visit too. Not sure of the distances from you however. The best, best restaurant is Paul Ainsworth at No 6 in Padstow.

mummymeister Tue 07-Jul-15 15:46:45

Sams on the beach at Polkerris is lovely and it is a great little cove as well. what about Polzeath? huge beach, lots of places to eat, surfing if you want. have you looked at some of the boat trips up the rivers? they might be better for you if you need a toilet on it. what about something like Orca seafaris.

mrsmortis Tue 07-Jul-15 16:33:09

Healy's Cider Farm is a fun day out if you have a designated driver...

Heels99 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:26:14

Thank you all have booked paul ainsworth, never heard of him before so thanks for the tip, and plan to do the camel bike ride and some of the less familiar beaches.

RoobyTuesday Fri 10-Jul-15 09:28:34

I second Polzeath, great beach and if you have teenagers they will love it there. There are a couple of really nice restaurants in Polzeath too although I'm afraid I can't remember what they are called.

RoobyTuesday Fri 10-Jul-15 09:31:07

And about half and hours drive to the south are The Lost Gardens of Heligan which are absolutely beautiful and all the family will love it there.

NeverHadHaveHas Fri 10-Jul-15 09:33:35

Have you eaten at the watergate bay hotel in the living space? Really nice food and lovely view.

Heels99 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:34:54

Yes love helipad and the watergate bay hotel too. Both favourites of ours.

Tadpoletoatoad Fri 10-Jul-15 09:40:34

Paul Ainsworth is amazing - we had our after wedding lunch there as there were only 4 of us. Fabulous food and service.
The Waterfront in Polzeath does fabulous food with great views, the beach is wonderful there also.
The Cornish Arms between Newquay and padstow is owned by Stein and is good.
Heligan is great for all the family. grin

Heels99 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:50:21

Taking the kids to ainsworth with us
. Hey ho!

Tadpoletoatoad Fri 10-Jul-15 11:18:12

I took my dd at 18months and they were great with her. I would go back with her (now 5.5) and my ds who is nearly 3. Keep forgetting to book early enough confused

Heels99 Fri 10-Jul-15 19:12:29

Yes we couldn't get evening booking so doing lunch instead. Will make a day of it in padstow area. Dh and I will go out on our own for dinner another night. For lobster yum.

Tadpoletoatoad Fri 10-Jul-15 21:30:24

My DH doesn't like lobster - hmm
Never get to eat it as it's always for two. Hope you have great time down there. We are just back from a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now