I know it's June but...skiing advice!

(6 Posts)
MtnBikeChick Wed 17-Jun-15 09:00:21

Time to think about snow!

I am seeking some advice from seasoned self-drive-family-ski-holidaymakers. I am in charge of organising our 3 x family ski trip (6 adults 6 kids) next year. We go the first week of Easter (third week of March for us). We have been to Val D'Isere in the past but would like to try somewhere new and also a bit better for intermiedates. Our requirements are pretty simple:

1. Relatively easy drive from Calais (we are not considering Chamonix - even though I know that is the easiest to drive to. It doesn't seem that compact enough to make things easy with little ones).
2. High resort to get good snow reliability in March.
3. Decent selction of chalets within walking distance of lifts and ski schools - really, really want to avoid having to get buses etc in the mornings as we have young kids with us.
4. Availability of childcare (nannies etc) in resort.

Am currently looking at Tignes, Courchevel (expensive??) and possibly Les Arcs or La Plagne - am thoroughly confused about Les Arcs and La Plagne tho, as I can't work out where would be best to stay as the resorts seem spread out.

Any experience anyone?
Thank you!

Artandco Wed 17-Jun-15 09:05:50

Les arcs is a nice ski area. Although I would personally stay in vallandry. It connects straight to les arcs and if you stay les arcs you always end up skiing in vallandry anyway. It's more village vibe with kids which is nice.
Look on holiday lettings, I did see a few chalets there last year for 12 self catering at a very reasonable price ( about £1800 for the Week for whole chalet)

Artandco Wed 17-Jun-15 09:08:26

Oh and vallandry is more in the middle if anyone wants to go over to la plague. But wouldn't take new skiers over if not confident as it is a fair few runs to get down and back up to cross back to les arc region and so if you can't ski quick enough you always worry about getting back before telecabin closes (4pm)

boobyooby Wed 17-Jun-15 09:11:46

Another vote for pressed calla dry - plenty to keep all levels of skiers occupied

boobyooby Wed 17-Jun-15 09:12:38

Autocorrect fail ^^. Piessey vallandree it was meant to say.... Oops sorry

MtnBikeChick Wed 17-Jun-15 09:14:22

Thanks for the brilliant quick replies. Is Villandry high enough to get good snow in March?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now