Car hire in Vilamoura

(11 Posts)
mckenzie Wed 10-Jun-15 13:42:44

Would anyone recommend a particular car hire company please?

nipersvest Wed 10-Jun-15 13:54:31

we've hired cars many times in europe and have used a company called ecomony car hire to do it through, never had any problems and once when we were given a lower grade car than we booked when we got home i contacted them and we were refunded the difference straight away.

they are a broker and the companies we've gone with through them are auriga crown and cargest.

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Wed 10-Jun-15 13:54:48

Yes, I highly recommend Zitauto www.zitauto.com/index.php. They look a bit random as you meet them in the airport coffee shop to complete the paperwork and from memory they only take cash, but I have been using them for years (along with other family members) and they have always been excellent and much less expensive that other companies. You pick up / drop off the car in the airport car park which is much more convenient that having to take a bus to the offsite places.

On our last trip one of our suitcases was damaged by diesel that the previous renter had spilt in the back of the car. The owner of the company came to our hotel (with his wife and son to translate) to personally apologise for the inconvenience and he insisted on refunding the entire car hire change and paying �100 to replace the suitcase. I don't think you can ask for better than that.

mckenzie Wed 10-Jun-15 15:50:58

Thanks both of you.
We were going to get a taxi from the airport as we will have luggage plus golf clubs to transport. Zitauto will come to the hotel I assume yes?

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Wed 10-Jun-15 16:24:58

Where are you staying? Its really easy to drive around there so you may not need to worry about a taxi if you get a big enough car. Also happy to make restaurant recommendations.

mckenzie Wed 10-Jun-15 19:36:17

Thanks Imnot...
We are staying at the Hilton. And we'd love recommendations, thank you.

Hoppinggreen Wed 10-Jun-15 21:23:37

Zit auto are good, we use them 3 or 4 times a year.
As im not says they seem a bit " relaxed" but we've had no issues

cococandyfloss Wed 10-Jun-15 23:07:58

We have also used Zitauto before and tried to get booked with them this year but they sadly didn't have a car big enough for us available this summer (family of 5).

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Thu 11-Jun-15 10:25:00

These are my recommendations after many years of holidays in Vilamoura:

Parilla Natural is both a beautiful setting and great food. It is particularly good if you have DC because they have a supervised play area and they bring the kids to you when the food arrived. Once it gets dark the play area is turned into an outdoor cinema so you don't have to rush your dinner. You need to book ahead or get the hotel concierge to do it for you.

In Vilamoura marina O Cesteiro is a lovely fish restaurant. It is upstairs with a terrace so you can people watch. It doesn't seem to score that highly on Tripadvisor but it is a step above the other restaurants around the Marina which are very touristy.

A Paisagem is a typical Portugese family restaurant at the roundabout before the turn off to Vila Sol. We have been going there for years and their lamb chops and chips are amazing.

Finally, I have always loved Figueiral which is slightly off the beaten track on the turn off to Vale de Lobo. Their Brazillian steak (or Picanha) is to die for.

Have a lovely holiday. And if you manage to try out any of this restaurants please do let me know what you think.

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Thu 11-Jun-15 10:26:58

P.S. They are all within 10 - 15 mins of the Hilton and a very easy drive along the N125.

mckenzie Thu 11-Jun-15 15:13:22

Thanks very much! I'm going to enjoy trying all your recommendations. And yes, I'll report back smile
Zits don't have any cars left! None at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now