Secluded sandy beach in Dorset?

(7 Posts)
Buddy80 Mon 18-May-15 06:57:32

Hi,

Does anyone know of a secluded beach in Dorset, please? It is just for a day trip.

The reason I ask that it be secluded is that I have a child with special needs and crowds can be sometimes difficult (also shops too).

Much appreciated.

dreamingofsun Mon 18-May-15 09:51:49

the quieter ones tend to be more stony. which sort of area of dorset were you looking at and how far do you want to walk along?

Buddy80 Mon 18-May-15 10:23:10

Any area of Dorset is fine as we would be travelling from Wiltshire. Not fussed about walking too much, it is just for the children really.

Thank you for responding to my thread, much appreciated.

Teacuptravells Mon 18-May-15 13:58:11

If its not school holidays Knoll beach and the beaches along from their (studland) are quiet. I think they get busy in summer though.

dreamingofsun Mon 18-May-15 21:08:50

hengisbury head near christchurch is pretty quiet if you walk along it and sit mid-way. you would get lots of dog walkers going past.

tyneham we've been to a couple of times and that was very quiet - but its stony and a bit of a walk from the car park and no facilities. the village that was evaquated in the war there was quite interesting.

mudeford is quieter than the main bournemouth beaches - if you walked along away from the quay it would be quieter - espec mid-week - though as per hengisbury you would get do walkers going past

Buddy80 Tue 19-May-15 14:23:12

Thank you very much, this is all great and makes it so much easier.

SerendipityDooDah Tue 19-May-15 18:52:47

Agree that you'll find more stones than sand, but little people seem to have great fun with the pebbles too. Cogden is a good stony option. It has no shop/café/toilet facilities so is less crowded, with most people going on to Burton Bradstock/Hive Beach a couple of miles down the road. You will get dog walkers, but it's a pretty vast expanse -- we've never gotten close enough to say hello to anyone other than on the path down from the carpark to the beach. Another place that might work is Charmouth. There are two sides of beach area straddling the mouth of the Char river. When the tide is out there are lovely sandy bits and rockpools on the western side, plus heaps of interesting stones -- great fossil hunting. There is a café, and there will be more people than Cogden, but we haven't found it to be heaving, particularly at the far western end.

Haven't been here, but this one sounds interesting: Shipstal Beach. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now