Holiday abroad with 13 month old - what to take?

(6 Posts)
Jazzle37 Thu 07-May-15 14:06:08

DH and I are going to Spain for a week with 13 month old DD next week for our first family holiday. What bits and pieces do I need to take?? Suggestions for both hand luggage and main luggage appreciated smile - as is general abroad advice.

We are all inclusive although meal times might mean DD needs some food in our room. DD doesn't use bottles, so one less thing. Clotheswise I was planning on taking 1 outfit per day and a few spares, 2 swimsuits, hat and spare, a few sets of pjs and light sleeping bag

We have 20kg luggage allowance each for me and DH plus 10kg and pushchair for DD.

(I hate flying. Holidays stress me out...can you tell?)

Jazzle37 Fri 08-May-15 17:45:55

Anyone?

noramum Fri 08-May-15 18:15:07

Get a UV50 suit for playing on the beach and the water. DD hated wearing it in the water though but as they want to play in the wet sand and not under the sunshade it is essential.

Cover with suncream a lot and get hats with a large brim, legionnaire style are good as they cover the neck.

Get also a sunshade for the pram.

A mini first aid kit with thermometer, plaster, calpol/nurofen and a good travel insurance plus your EHIC card. There should be no problem getting an English speaking doctor but we have the experience that things pop up in the middle of the night.

CaurnieBred Sat 09-May-15 19:33:53

Take some bits that she can play with in the water - like a plastic tea set or stacking pots. Those were worth their weight in gold when we went. Disposable bibs. Sunglasses - DD was good at keeping hers on.

Take your own kids' cutlery - the plastic sets you get from Ikea are great. We didn't try to squish nappies into our bags - we just wrapped up a pack in paper and sent it through as part of our luggage allowance.

When boarding, ask the ground crew if one of you can go on with the pre-boarding for those travelling with small children, to make sure you get all your stuff stowed away, but one stay back with DD until right at the end and be one of the last to board: they can get very bored and squirmy when waiting for everyone else to board.

If this is your first time abroad with DD don't be surprised that it will be unlike any other holiday you have had in the past - at the pool by 0800 hrs as you've been up since before 0700 hrs, heading back to bed by 2000 hrs

popflos Sat 09-May-15 22:15:48

i think you are more likely to need a lot less clothes and a lot more PJs.. i find on holiday i leave them in pjs too long, they get breakfast all down it, or go out to dinner in pjs and get them mucky, and the rest of the time just in a vest or a cosy and not really in clothes at all.

popflos Sat 09-May-15 22:18:36

get nappies and sun shade or tent or whatever, once you get there. why do people pack nappies? prob depends on where you are going and if you have a car to go shopping..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now