A question about Greek Islands and toilets

(36 Posts)
kissmyheathenass Tue 06-Jan-15 17:24:20

Looking at the Greek Islands for a holiday and the one thing that puts me off is the toilet situation (not being poncey, one of us suffers OCD and fear of all things toiletish). Does anyone know of any hotels (maybe the big modern ones?) that have toilets which cope with paper being flushed?

Its not the toilets its the entire sewerage and drainage system. We stayed in a 5* in Crete this year and the advice was to not flush, although I'm sure people do.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 06-Jan-15 17:32:11

You don't see the paper. You put it in a bin with a lid. If you can't cope, quite a large part of "abroad" is probably not for you!

OneHandFlapping Tue 06-Jan-15 17:33:59

Take nappy sacks and get everyone to put their used paper in one. Then you don't have to see/smell other people's shitty paper. At least in your own room.

HemanOrSheRa Tue 06-Jan-15 17:35:11

I agree with English its not the toilets themselves. And trust me, they KNOW if you've flushed paper down the toilet!

kissmyheathenass Tue 06-Jan-15 17:49:07

Thanks for replies - lots of abroad is good for us thanks Middleaged, but one of my dcs has OCD and would struggle with this.

Ok, so if the plumbing is the issue, then I can see why even 5* hotels have the same system. Looks like it's Turkey then! (assuming Turkey has a different sanitation system).

I haven't been to turkey for a few years but last time I was there some of the toilets in public areas were little more than holes covered by planks! Can't remember about the hotel though sorry.

CorporateRockWhore Tue 06-Jan-15 17:55:54

While you do have to put your paper in a lidded bin, practically every toilet I've been in on Greek Islands has been bloody palatial! Spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated.

GlitzAndGigglesx Tue 06-Jan-15 17:59:36

When I went to Crete the holiday rep provided us with scented nappy bags to put tissue in. Being 8 at the time I thought it was odd but still had a great time

westcountrywoman Tue 06-Jan-15 18:02:30

It's the same in Turkey I'm afraid OP (or at least it was last time I visited in 1998).

kissmyheathenass Tue 06-Jan-15 18:05:12

I remember the planks over holes type toilet from my travelling days - do they still have them in Turkey? I dont think ds would cope very well sad. Im extremely cheered to read about palatial toilets though - that would suit! About these lidded bins, are the public ones generally clean or grim? We arent lightweights but Ds genuinely has OCD and this can cause so much anxiety and stress thereby defeating the purpose of a holiday.

The last few holidays have been in Balaerics/Canaries and I wanted to do something a bit different this year. Any other ideas anyone?

FairyPenguin Tue 06-Jan-15 18:06:10

I went to Turkey last year and it was all flushable.

Gerberama Tue 06-Jan-15 18:09:27

I went to crete last year and nobody ever mentioned anything about not flushing paper confused

kissmyheathenass Tue 06-Jan-15 18:23:57

Gerberama, I think paper blocks the sewerage system up and I have heard of people finding their hotel room flooded with shitty water <boak>. Maybe you were jsut very lucky grin.

Fairypenguin, where in Turkey did you stay?

youbethemummylion Tue 06-Jan-15 18:26:16

I went to Marmaris last year and we flushed our paper there were no warnings not to do so anywhere.

mswibble Tue 06-Jan-15 18:29:01

You'll find the bins for loo roll in Turkey as well, at least in the resorts we have been - Bodrum, Gumbet, Turgetreis and Marmaris. Think hotels were ok, at least I dont remember being asked to not flush the loo roll, but in all the bars and restaurants they had big signs asking to use the bin. Some places are nice with pedal bins so you're not having to touch anything, other places...not so nice...

FairyPenguin Wed 07-Jan-15 06:48:57

I was at a hotel in Olu Deniz but we ate out as well and definitely don't remember not being able to flush paper. We have also been to Side a few years back and that was fine too.

Having been to Greece a few times, I would definitely have noticed if we weren't supposed to. In fact, I think I was expecting the bins the first time we went to Turkey.

Bunbaker Wed 07-Jan-15 10:12:11

We went to Crete last year and could flush loo roll down the toilet.

Corfu has dreadful plumbing that can't take loo roll though so I would avoid it.

specialsubject Wed 07-Jan-15 11:08:04

if you are in a big modern characterless all inclusive then it may have big enough pipes to take toilet roll. But no guarantees. And no guarantees that outside the hotel it isn't going straight into the sea.

if it is that important, Turkey and Greece aren't for you. I appreciate that this is a mental health issue but you may have to recognise that this limits travel.

kissmyheathenass Wed 07-Jan-15 16:39:12

After lots of thought, I have decided to avoid Turkey and Greece as I would be on tenterhooks the whole time. So now I am looking at Italy instead. It's shame we are limited but there lots of wonderful places to discover that do have more modern sanitation. I assume Italy is ok?

Bunbaker Wed 07-Jan-15 16:52:03

Italy is wonderful. We have been to lake Garda twice recently and love it. You can't go wrong with Italy.

kissmyheathenass Wed 07-Jan-15 17:31:50

Bunbaker, I see you cropping up on Lake Garda threads, I can see you love the place - tell me more. What is the best town by the lake to stay in - we wont have a car and like to eat locally so somewhere with lots of restaurants close by is best for us. Do you have any recommendations for hotels? I know I can get to Verona by train but what about travelling around without a car - I would love to take dcs to Gardaland and also a trip up Mount Baldo would be fab. are these places accessible by taxi/bus? Just looked at flights with Flybe and am desperate to book them!

Behooven Wed 07-Jan-15 17:38:03

Book it! You won't be disappointed

kissmyheathenass Wed 07-Jan-15 17:40:14

Where did you go, please tell me more - I cant book anything till dh gets home with his credit card as mine is maxed!

InfinitySeven Wed 07-Jan-15 17:42:25

Italy sounds lovely, Kissmy.

I think you've made a good decision. I visited a few Greek islands in the Summer, and the sanitation varied hugely, but even the clean toilets were pretty poor. I've never been so happy to see an airport toilet than when we landed...flushing is a godsend.

DPs mum was so traumatised that she's refusing to leave the country again. And we were all pretty prepared, with lots of scented toilet roll and nappy sacks etc...it's just grim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now