Tips on how to fly cheaply please!

(16 Posts)
bunface Tue 02-Sep-14 18:41:22

I'm trying to find flights to Turkey for may need to year but struggling to find anything much under £400. Does anyone have any useful tips on how to look for cheap flights. Most grateful for your ideas thanks.

phonebox Tue 02-Sep-14 18:43:15

Skyscanner is your friend

As is potentially flying to a closer country e.g. Greece and then maybe taking a boat...depending on your time & effort restrictions

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Tue 02-Sep-14 18:43:26

Have you tried Skyscanner? That is usually quite reliable for finding the cheapest fares available.

Can you use Tesco points/Avios?

iwantgin Tue 02-Sep-14 18:53:20

I also say try Skyscaner.

Quite a few of their cheaper flights are using two different airlines - e.g. fly out with Monarch, return with Ryanair or whatever.

It just takes time to mess about on each website to find the right flights.

Kundry Tue 02-Sep-14 18:54:58

Skyscanner or Kayak

Then use Skyparksecure to find cheaper airport parking

May is quite far away in flight booking terms so prices will be expensive now, cheaper 4-6 months before and then steadily rise into last minute prices. Many of the budget operators will not have released flights at all so far in advance.

bunface Tue 02-Sep-14 19:09:23

Thanks all. I've looked at Skyscanner and still quite expensive. Kundry I didn't know about booking the flights nearer the time. When would be the best time to do it, considering we aim to go last week in May? EasyJet haven't released prices yet.

phonebox Tue 02-Sep-14 19:56:32

If Easyjet haven't released their prices yet then that's why all the expensive ones are coming up grin

Also, booking flights & accommodation separately is sometimes cheaper, but not always. Might be worth looking at package deals for some comparisons.

JeanSeberg Tue 02-Sep-14 20:31:05

Where are you flying to and from?

Kundry Tue 02-Sep-14 20:51:05

If you can solve the 'when Easyjet release their prices' mystery, you are better than me! I'm always too early or far far too late smile

bunface Tue 02-Sep-14 21:51:03

Jean, we would fly from any airport from Bristol to Birmingham and want to fly to Dalaman.

SwedishEdith Tue 02-Sep-14 22:03:47

I don't know how accurate this is but I read on moneysavingexpert that the best time to book is 3 months before you fly. And flying on a Tuesday is supposed to be cheaper

JeanSeberg Wed 03-Sep-14 01:26:01

Have you looked at monarch? I just found return flights for £160 from Birmingham to Dalaman. Are you flexible on dates?

What airlines had you looked at?

bunface Wed 03-Sep-14 17:39:28

Thanks for looking Jean. Not flexible on dates as I work in a school. I've tried all the smaller airlines too and Turkish Airlines, Skyscanner etc. The cheaper ones tend to take 13 ish hours which is nuts as we are only going for a week!

JeanSeberg Wed 03-Sep-14 17:49:32

What are your dates?

If you can risk hanging on until the last minute they get much cheaper

I'm looking to fly to Corfu in early June with Avro (Monarch's charter co) - for the week I would want, they were £100 for this year when I looked in late May.

Now next year's dates are available & they're about £250 atm! So I'll be hanging on I think...

(That's not school holidays of course - hanging on for those dates much riskier confused)

Norland Fri 05-Sep-14 18:28:28

Check with your local flying clubs at small aerodromes, as to any PPLs who need to get some hours in. If you can get in a Beechcraft twin engine job i.e. Baron B58 or similar and the pilot is happy to pick you up as well, then fuel costs and landing fees will likely be ~£200 each way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now