driving from London to Leeds - ideas to break the journey

(10 Posts)
flipflopsonfifthavenue Fri 29-Aug-14 12:58:30

Hi,
we're driving to Leeds in September with 2yo DS and were planning to stop off mid-way for a bit of a break/breather/lunch/family day out.

Can anyone recommend any places to visit en route that would be good for a couple hours break with a toddler? We're coming from east London so probably going M11, A1.

Thanks

PortofinoRevisited Sat 30-Aug-14 08:36:49

We did the National Space. Centre in Leicester when doing that trip in reverse. I would recommend but maybe for older children. There was a website that listed things to visit along a route. I will try to find....

UnMasterChef Thu 04-Sep-14 21:28:46

Clumber Park nr Retford is ace. It's a National Trust place about 2 minutes from the A1. We often stop there for lunch, you'll need to pay about a fiver for parking, but there is a nice national trust cafe and plenty of room for a 2 yr old to run around, chase ducks and there is a little play ground.

If it's really rainy, you could go into Retford itself, there is a big, good soft play and a few cafes etc

Primadonnagirl Thu 04-Sep-14 21:30:40

Do not go to the Heights of Abraham.You will see signs for it but look away.You have been warned.

OublietteBravo Thu 04-Sep-14 21:36:12

The Yorkshire Sculpture Park is good (but closer to the M1 than the A1, and only about an hour from Leeds).

Bunbaker Thu 04-Sep-14 21:46:22

The Sculpture Park is about 20 minutes from Leeds.

I have driven between London and Leeds via the M11 and A1 umpteen times, but didn't have children in tow. The halfway mark for me was roughly near Cambridge. I would think that your halfway point is likely to be Peterborough so would see if there is anywhere near there to visit.

VirtualPointyHat Thu 04-Sep-14 21:49:01

If you are taking the A1 there is a fun kids farm just north of Peterborough with an awesome cafe. Can't remember the name but it's in Castor

nipersvest Thu 04-Sep-14 21:57:08

just off the a1 there is sacrewell farm just north of peterborough, belton house is just north of grantham and has a fab play area.

BikeRunSki Thu 04-Sep-14 21:57:16

Sculpture Park is fab, but far too close to Leeds to break the journey. But Clumber Park is about an hour and 20 South of Leeds, so that might work.

nipersvest Thu 04-Sep-14 21:59:48

another one, is about 10mins from the a1 near peterborough is fineshade woods, you only pay to park, its free to have a walk and there's a good play area there too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now