Organising DH's 40th birthday weekend in Paris – looking for unusual tips

(9 Posts)
Notquitesureagain Thu 28-Aug-14 17:03:37

DH has poo-pooed the idea of a party but loves Paris and wants to spend his 40th weekend there. I'm keen to organise a fun mixed bag of activities and experiences (without making it totally knackering). We'll leave early on a Friday and come back late on Sunday. We know Paris pretty well so I'll throw in some old favourites but am looking for different, off-the-beaten track type stuff to do. Any thoughts? Haven't yet booked a hotel so again any tips for really nice hotels (probably funky boutiques rather than large-scale traditional hotels) would also be very welcome. It'll be late November. Thanks v much folks

Mojito100 Thu 28-Aug-14 17:05:37

Can you let us know what your favourites are that you will be doing. It will save us doubling up when we share ideas.

Notquitesureagain Thu 28-Aug-14 17:41:37

Good point - well we will def take a stroll in the jardins de Luxembourg, we'll probably go for an early evening drink in Monmartre on one of the evenings. Was planning to take him to the opera one evening and something a bit more low-brow for the other though not quite sure what...

zimbomaman Thu 28-Aug-14 17:47:09

'How to be a Parisian in an hour' is a one man act in English. Very funny and could be a solution for your second night out. Google should show where it's playing when you visit (has moved to a larger theater since I went).

newnameforanewstart Thu 28-Aug-14 18:07:36

Well it sort of depends what sort of off the beaten track you want!

I quite like wondering round the Le Cimetière des Chiens et Autres Animaux Domestiques its really rather different and some of the graves are incredibly intricate etc. But I might not be your sort of thing?

Le Musée des Arts Forains Le Musée des Arts Forains is a stunning collection of beautiful old amusement park rides and other carnival-related attractions, housed in one of the most absolutely magical spaces I've ever had the pleasure to visit. You WILL need to check and see if it is open to the public when your trip is planned, I BELIEVE the public can book in advance to go and see it THIS IS A REALLY SPECIAL THING TO DO! Honestly it has been closed to the public for years and years.

Have you ever done the Les Catacombes de Paris? They are really worth a visit if not, this history behind them is quite incredible.

The Musée de la Magie and the Musée des Automates Housed in the same building and worth a look.

If you like wondering about then some of these are always worth a visit

Le Défenseur du Temps

Le Passe-Muraille

Métro Arts et Métiers — have you checked out the steampunk Métro station?

Theres the unfinished statue of the Virgin Mary, buried for eight centuries which is in the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés

Les Enfants du Monde (Children of the World) — a really neat group of twenty-one bronze statues over by the Parc de Bercy.

We often do a sort of roman ruin trip through Paris which can be fun. Paris is still riddled with numerous timeworn traces of its ancient Roman past: a coliseum, baths, and various remains of walls, pillars and carved stones lie strewn about the city, waiting to be discovered by those with an observant eye. While the Roman Baths at Cluny are plausibly the most impressive architectural remnant from the Roman era, the Archaeological Crypt near Notre Dame reveals the centre of the old Roman city of Lutetia, right on the Île de la Cité.

Check out Canal St. Martin in the 10th arrondissement, for the graffiti art.

Have you check out Canal St. Martin? Go in the evening and have a drink its quite well know with the Parisians but often missed by tourists

If its raining go passage hoping I love them and there's only something like 30 left . Some of the most impressive lie strung in a line stretching from Passage Vivienne, behind the Palais Royal, continuing northbound, where they end at rue Cadet

Check out Belleville for the markets and just wondering round.

Angelina salon and patisserie on the Rue de Rivoli is renowned for serving THE best ‘chocolat chaud’ The Palais Royal is not far from Angelina, so you can head over there after your hot chocolate, and stroll through the shopping arcades surrounding the garden

Spend some time on the cobble streets of Ile St-Louis

Check out the Salvador Dali Museum As well as some of Dali’s art and drawings, there are his sculptures of clocks and watches, and these are amazing to see first-hand! You’ll feel like you’ve stumbled across a real hidden gem in the heart of Montmartre.

Have you ever been to La Gare? Its is a restaurant.

newnameforanewstart Thu 28-Aug-14 18:16:27

Hotel wise these are worth looking into

Hotel Luxembourg Parc

Hotel Le Six website here is great according to some friends that have just returned.

Secret de Paris is lovely if you like quirky

Hotel Relais Saint-Germain

Hôtel Design de la Sorbonne in the Latin quarter

Hôtel Bonaparte in the highly coveted St-Germain-des-Prés district

Notquitesureagain Thu 28-Aug-14 18:33:05

Some brilliant ideas here – most of which I hadn't thought of. Thank you so much. Lucky devil, he's going to have a brilliant time grin

newnameforanewstart Thu 28-Aug-14 18:46:18

If there is anything particular your DH likes if you let me know I will happily have a think - I lived and worked in Paris for a while so I know it quite well.

PortofinoRevisited Sat 30-Aug-14 08:49:12

2CV tours

Dinner up the Eiffel Tower or in the private dining rooms at Laperouse when the aristocracy used to take their mistresses for shenanigans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now