Kos or Rhodes?

(14 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Wed 27-Aug-14 22:45:13

Thinking of booking an all-inclusive break for me, DH and 3 DCs.

Is there much difference between above islands?

Been to Crete and Zante, both lovely I thought.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 28-Aug-14 11:16:59

They are both nice islands. If you are going all inclusive I would just say choose the better hotel.

specialsubject Thu 28-Aug-14 11:20:33

plenty to see on both so don't spend all your time in the resort. Rhodes especially has a lovely town, and Lindos also well worth seeing.

cantbelievemyeyes Thu 28-Aug-14 22:51:37

Not been to Rhodes though off there next week. Kos is lovely and I've been a few times- I've found all of the places I've visited in Greece have differences in atmosphere, food etc. Agree that if you're going all inclusive, unless you plan to spend a decent amount of time outside the hotel then you probably won't really notice those differences. Often all inclusive hotels are quite isolated from the actual towns and villages so it's by the by really.

BaconAndAvocado Fri 29-Aug-14 18:03:16

Yes I suppose we could be anywhere at an all-inclusive resort. Planning to go for 2 weeks so would definitely want to explore outside!

Is the heat just as, er, hot on each island?

specialsubject Sat 30-Aug-14 11:18:41

probably - Lindos in particular gets very hot as the walls block the breeze. Kos is quite breezy though.

you don't say what time of year, obviously July and August very hot in Greece wherever you are.

Letthemtalk Sat 30-Aug-14 11:26:51

I was in Rhodes pre kids and it was great, was in kos a couple of years ago with the kids and we loved it. Much smaller feel than Crete, very family friendly. I hate all inclusive, surely the point of a holiday is to try out as many eating places as you can!? The Greek islands are suffering because of the all inclusive places, no money going to the other businesses.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sat 30-Aug-14 17:31:59

I think in the Greek islands it does seem a bit of a shame to go all inclusive as there are so many nice places to eat out and it isn't expensive. We found Kos very good value for money, I went to Rhodes quite a few years ago but that was good value when I was there too.

We stayed in Mastihari on Kos and Lindos on Rhodes and I really enjoyed both.

iklboo Sat 30-Aug-14 17:36:58

My parents (in their mid / late 60s) have just been to Kavos by mistake. Don't repeat their error!

BaconAndAvocado Sun 31-Aug-14 16:09:10

letthemtalk I don't think we could afford not to go all-inclusive.

I like,the idea of,going to,restaurants but with AI we can literally go,and grab some food without all the waiting (not DCs strong point)

Yes, we would be going July or August.

What's wrong with Kavos? Is it 18-30 territory?

specialsubject Sun 31-Aug-14 18:24:26

google 'what happens in Kavos'....

yes - kiddy-drunk central. As is Faliraki. Stay away.

plenty of wonderful places to go elsewhere on these islands.

iklboo Sun 31-Aug-14 20:47:36

Definitely. My parents came back with a 1000 yard stare & shockshockshockshock expressions.

cantbelievemyeyes Sun 31-Aug-14 21:56:27

Sorry iklboo but I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of your parents in Kavos in the height of summer. Hope they recover ok!

Re: the heat I've also heard that Lindos & Pefkos can get particularly hot in Rhodes. I'm staying in the north which apparently has a nice breeze and doesn't get so hot. Kos- worked a summer out there a few years back and it was so hot I barely ate for the whole of July and August. July & August anywhere in Greece will be hot.

Re: all inclusive, I'm another one who doesn't like it at all having seen the effect the increase in AI hotels has had in certain places, and feel you really miss out on the best of Greece this way. Appreciate budget is a major issue though. In my experience you have to pay a lot of money for a decent AI, and it can be a false economy if you book a cheap one and find you end up eating out a lot if the food is poor. So if you're set on AI make sure you research it well. You may be surprised though- I've found the difference in cost was minimal, though it does depend how you spend.

iklboo Sun 31-Aug-14 21:59:12

Oh we thought it was hilarious when they told us! Serves 'em right for ligging accepting 'come & visit us in our resort' loose invitations from people they'd 'got in with' on their last holiday ��.

The other couple probably didn't think for one minute my folks would take them up on it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now