Holiday with a 2 year old - tips please!

(10 Posts)
katienana Tue 26-Aug-14 11:56:50

Taking our almost 2 year old DS to Spain in 2 weeks. We're going all inclusive for a week so going to be based at a hotel with pool.
He is pretty good in restaurants as long as there is plenty of food available, he will bolt however so will be keeping him on a tight leash around the pool etc.
After some advise really from wise mnetters, what small toys can we pack to keep him entertained on the plane/at the airport/in restaurant, any wonder products we simply must take, any good ipad apps we can download!
Hoping to go with an afternoon nap, later bedtime routine as think this will suit us all best.

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 26-Aug-14 22:02:50

I have travel a few times with DD and she's 3yo. I think it depends on the child but I never had any success with toys. Other MN posters seem to swear by them though.

She became very distressed with the landing and take off when we went to Spain at just over 2yo. She has already 3 trips before that including one long haul. The main difference was that she had to sit in her eon seat instead of on our laps. The pressure really freaked her and she wanted to be cuddled. On one way we had an idiot of an air hostess trying to tell us she was unsafe to be on our lap instead of the the adult lap belt. I didn't want to argue with her because a child obviously doesn't magically became too large to be on a parents lap over night. And also proper airlines give 5 point harness seats instead of using an adult lap belt for 2yo. Anyway flying the other way, we had a sympathic crew member who just went and give us an infant belt to attach to the ours.

Your LO might not be distressed with the pressure changes though. And if he is hopefully you get a sympathetic flight attendant.

And all routines go out of the window whenever we travel. DD refused to nap and then collapsed at the end of the day, usually very early. The AI place I picked especially for having an early dinner time starting at 6.30! (From previous experience). At least then I know she won't be too grumpy to eat something before tiring her totally out. And make good use of the afternoon snacks. I found sandwiches to feed DD mid afternoon as well.

Otherwise just enjoy the pool and the beach. (I wasn't too worried about the pool. She's sensible enough not to jump in without us).

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 26-Aug-14 22:05:03

Proper airlines are those like BA that provides proper child restraint btw. This flight to Spain was with flybe.

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 26-Aug-14 22:07:07

Oh just noticed yours just under 2. He would get all the cuddles he needed then on landing and take off.

Superlovely Tue 26-Aug-14 22:12:24

We have just been abroad with three children including our very active 2 year old.
The best thing was a back pack with lead for the airport which I put toys and a drink in for the plane. ( security quite happy with carton of juice). Good toys were stickers, things inside things ie tiny car inside purse inside little bag inside the big bag. Cheap pack of cards (donkey game).
At the airport head towards the flight gates and there are big empty corridors with those conveyer belt things where she burnt off a lot of steam!
We took the pushchair, didn't use it once.
Good luck, it will be great!

Babiecakes11 Tue 26-Aug-14 22:19:14

We travelled when ds was 18 month then when he was 2 years 1 month both times we woke him early and he passed out for the start of the flights but when he woke we had a DVD player and snacks for the plane. At the hotel and even the villa when around the pool he had his armbands on at all times all 6 kids that were with is did, ds is a confident swimmer with armbands and if they did burst he could swim to the edge of the pool and pull himself up.
For night times there we took a fan for the hotel holiday we taught him to use it if he got too warm he loved the cold air for short times then would turn it off roll over and sleep again x

queenofthepirates Tue 26-Aug-14 22:20:22

If your child is around 2yo, fib to the cabin crew and tell them they are under two. At over 2 they can make the child sit on their own seat for take off and landing which can be rather awful at that age.

Backpack full of food for kids, mine loves trail mix and some treats like magazines. EasyJet are brilliant for kids, Ryanair suck.

Loveleopardprint Tue 26-Aug-14 22:28:39

Just got back from holiday and the one thing I wish I had packed was waterproof total sunblock. I took factor fifty but my girls spent hours in the pool with rash tops and buffs but it was so hard to keep their faces from burning.

Bearwantsmore Wed 27-Aug-14 00:21:33

On holiday with 2 yr old at the moment. Main tip is to have realistic expectations!! Expect it to be tough and anything else will be a bonus. Download peppa pig etc onto your phone/iPad for emergencies (meal times, early wakings and flights!)

katienana Wed 27-Aug-14 09:52:54

We're flying with Thomson. Not 2 till October so he will be on my lap. He has flown twice before, once at 4 months and again at about 8 months. He was ok with the pressure but I was bfing him so that helped.
So far on my checklist: Littlelife backpack with rein (he already has this but we don't use much anymore)
Stickers, toy car, drink & snacks for the plane (I'm thinking cereal bar, crackers, raisins)
Download some new apps and some episodes of Fireman Sam, Topsy & Tim etc
Comic (could get a few and bring them out slowly over the week)
I bought him a SwimFin already but will get armbands also
Waterproof sunblock - we have loads of Factor 50 already but will get one of those stick things for his face
First aid kit (plasters, anthisan, calpol)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now