Ferry in December - mad to consider it?

(6 Posts)
gastrognome Fri 22-Aug-14 13:49:04

Thinking of taking the ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull in December - have never done this crossing before and have no idea whether rough seas are likely to make it unbearable.

Any experiences? (Alternative is Eurotunnel and a long drive)

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 22-Aug-14 18:50:07

I did that journey about 30 years ago, (in January) I recall very little about it, certainly wasn't seasick. Unlike on the ferry I took to Stornoway a couple of years later, which I still recall with horror...

gastrognome Fri 22-Aug-14 21:58:25

Thanks. It's one of those hard decisions - if it's fine, we'll no doubt really enjoy it (nobody in iur family gets seasick it normal conditions).
But if it's rough, the thought of 15 hours of awfulness just doesn't bear imagining! Not sure really.

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 22-Aug-14 23:08:42

Can you check what the weather's generally like in that area, at that time of year? Eg, where I live in Scotland December is often wet and windy, January quite cold and dry, but if we get snow it's more likely in Feb/March.

gastrognome Sat 23-Aug-14 07:44:20

Good idea. Hadnt thought to check weather data - will investigate.

codandchipstwice Mon 01-Sep-14 16:56:09

We did dover calais last dec, our crossing was undulating but on, my brothers 6 hours later couldn't travel due to winds so spent night at dover in car. Flappy me then insisted on booking tunnel back which was good as ferries were off again. Got home and our and. 3 neighbours fences all down. I know it was v windy last dec but you get no compensation so I would just book tunnel as we ended up paying twice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now