Argentina and Chile - two weeks in December - any must do's?

(11 Posts)
nyctoedi Tue 19-Aug-14 18:44:19

We are off to South America in December - we have 15 days - and there is just way to much to do! We definitely want to do wine regions, lake district, Patagonia and maybe some time in BA and Santiago. Is it too much to do in 15 days? Any absolute must do's and any tips on internal travel? TIA

reup Tue 19-Aug-14 18:50:59

I loved the mountain areas round Salta in the north of Argentina. Saw whales off Patagonia, wanted to go further south to see glaciers but it was winter.

I got an airpass that covered lots of countries which was good value.

reup Tue 19-Aug-14 18:52:38

Mercosaur air pass , bought at journey Latin America (this was in early days of internet)

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Tue 19-Aug-14 19:05:36

I'm not sure if it would be to much travel but I loved Iguassa Falls. From the Argentine side you can see Brazil and visa versa.

reup Tue 19-Aug-14 19:09:55

How did I forget Iguassu! Its amazung.

We flew from Buenos Aires to Patagonia then to salta then to iguassu. Then to Brazil.

nyctoedi Tue 19-Aug-14 19:13:47

Oh gosh...Iguassu..yes...another one for the to do's! Thanks for the air pass tip reup will look into that.

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Tue 19-Aug-14 19:16:50

I flew to Iguassa from Rio, it was a great combo. We were going to a beach area such as Parati for the second half of our holiday but our DC who were 11 and 13 at the time asked us if we go to Iguassa instead as it sounded exciting to them. I am so glad I listened to their suggestion.

houseisfallingdown Tue 19-Aug-14 19:20:09

Definitely go to Iguassu. I think I'd be inclined to concentrate on Argentina and give Chile a miss. It's a long time since I went to Santiago but I can't remember it being much more than another big city. There is so much to do and see ( and eat and drink) in Argentina that I'd just go there. V jealous!

reup Tue 19-Aug-14 19:30:51

I haven't been to Chile but a friend liked the salt flats at Atacama.

I don't go to wine area or alps as am not a skier but all the Argentinians were shocked we didn't. Went in the train to the clouds in the north which was a bit long but has oxygen masks and coca tea (sadly neither had narcotic affect). Spent a day at an estancia which was touristy but fun- hoirse riding and a meal with 6 courses of meat!

Buenos Aires was a bit like new York crossed with Madrid. Spent an evening in a quiet bar with tango. Kept being asked to dance but my friend and I has big clompy walking boots on!

MillyMollyMama Tue 19-Aug-14 20:55:20

It is too much in my opinion. Lots of travelling and not enough time to actually see anything. I would do one or the other, but not both unless you do Buenos Aires for a few days at the end of a trip to a Chile and fly home from there. Chile is Very Long. Argentine is Very Big. Both have so much to see. Definitely do just one.

MillyMollyMama Tue 19-Aug-14 20:58:26

A vote for Chile. Mainly because it has the Atacama desert, wine growing area, lakes and Easter Island. Chile is not all about cities. It is about fabulous and scenic country. You can eat well too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now