im in south of france, dp has to work (remotely from hotel) im bored and sad

(13 Posts)
Branleuse Tue 19-Aug-14 17:14:18

Does anyone know what i can do.

I knew dp would have to work, but not be as busy as he is.
weve bookwd till saturday and are in Quillan in the aude.

ive been out walking abd exploring today. I might take a train to Carcassonne for the day tomorrow but i keep feeling so sad and lonely.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 19-Aug-14 17:23:46

Disable the wifi?
Is there anyone else in the hotel who looks like they might be on their win who you could pal up with?
Can you make good use of hotel spa?
Toulouse is nice to visit if you're not too far away, and Carcassonne is beautiful, though not much fun on your win I know hmm

Branleuse Tue 19-Aug-14 17:27:35

its not a posh hotel. I cant disable the wifi, its a new job. hes a developer and has a deadline. Hes even been working at night.

shouldnt have come but i thought it wouldnt be this depressing

I love carcassonne and the surrounding area. It has a special place in our hearts as it is where we went for our honey moon (camping) and where OH had a heart attack in the local supermarket on same honey moon. Carcassonne coronary care unit has great views of a car park....

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 19-Aug-14 17:31:37

Could you just give in and fly home? Write off the cost and try again with another holiday some other time?

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Tue 19-Aug-14 19:11:18

Electrical I had my honeymoon in that area too.

Allalonenow Tue 19-Aug-14 19:32:14

There is a folklore music and dancing festival every August, could be fun!
Have you visited the local market yet?

Allalonenow Tue 19-Aug-14 20:31:04

Try the local Tourist Office, it's in Place Andre Trioire.

Hoviscats Tue 19-Aug-14 20:42:16

If you have a car, limoux is nice for a mooch around and not far from where you are. There are some blanquette caves there too which do tours though I haven't been on one.

Mirepoix is another lovely town, a bit further away, medieval walled town which has some good shops.

If you want to sunbathe, there is a lake at Carcassonne for swimming which has a water park. There is another much smaller swimming lake at Puivert which has a nice atmosphere and good cafe/bar.

All of the above though probably need a car so depends if you have one at your disposal!

My parents live very close to where you are so if you are really desperate I am sure they would love a visitor grin

Allalonenow Tue 19-Aug-14 20:42:27

If you've got a Kindle there, or have the free app on your ipad, down load a couple of books about the Cathars and read them in their setting.

I love "Montailiou" but there is plenty of lighter fiction too, just put "cathars" into Amazon Kindle search.

Branleuse Tue 19-Aug-14 21:46:57

i do have my kindle and was reading a bit about the cathars in ds horrible history book about france. i might look into downloading something more indepth. good idea!
I do have a car but have never driven in france and dont think im ready to... eek.
They have a train from quillan to carcassone for 1 euro and i think it stops at limoux.

i had a bit of a cry at dp this afternoon. Hes a bit between a rock and a hard place because its a new job and hes been wantimg a remote working job for ages.
tomorrow i think theres a market on, and dp has promised me a couple of hours in the afternoon.
i quite fancy the dinosaur museum in esperaza but need to check the distance.

Branleuse Tue 19-Aug-14 21:53:03

tempted to take my bikini now qhen i go to Carcassonne!!

Allalonenow Thu 21-Aug-14 23:52:08

How are you getting on now Branleuse? Are you enjoying yourself more now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now