British Airways Exec lounge one guest entry policy - cr*p for families?

(35 Posts)
anamenotanumber Fri 08-Aug-14 17:28:09

My dh travels a lot with work and as a consequence has a BA card so he can go into the lounge but only with one guest. Fine most of the time but we are flying BA for our summer holiday and there are three of us.

I appreciate that business travellers don't want bawling babies about perhaps but the policy of one guest means that dh can take me OR dc in and given we can't leave our 8 year old outside alone, that will mean he and dc can go in and I am left outside!!! It will be a weekend afternoon so I doubt the lounge will be packed.

Are they very strict about this?

cavkc Fri 08-Aug-14 17:31:14

If they are not busy they will sometimes allow a 3rd person for a small charge. You can understand the one guest policy though as otherwise at at certain times the lounges would be too busy

PittTheYounger Fri 08-Aug-14 17:32:08

nah rulez is rulez man
THey dont want your kid there

Panzee Fri 08-Aug-14 17:34:26

Or none of you could go in, slum it like the rest of us. grin

PittTheYounger Fri 08-Aug-14 17:37:23

HAVE YOU seen the Ian Poulter tweet today? grin

HalfATankini Fri 08-Aug-14 17:40:47

I have the same situation. Sometimes we have just split up in the airport and my h has filled his bag with freebies for poor me outside Part of the deal is that I get the easiest child with me and he has the two more 'spirited' kids.

More recently we've bought a lounge pass thing which means we can all get in. Sorry, I've no idea what it is as h sorted it out but it does really help.

AuntieStella Fri 08-Aug-14 17:43:59

Yes, they are pretty strict.

Can you upgrade your flights to club class?

Or just live with the idea that his work perk is exactly that - for work - and unrelated to family life?

There has been much online debate about this and they are indeed very strict about this policy at Heathrow in particular (I've also spoken to them about this in the past).

What sort of BA card does your DH have?. If its a gold one I would certainly check in at the first class desk (even if you are flying WT or economy) at T5 and see if there is any availability re an upgrade. If he has a silver card you can and should check in at one of their Club World desks even if you are not flying CW.

BA at Heathrow are very strict about only letting one guest into their lounges; its due to capacity in the lounges as they can be full to bursting nowadays. Talking to them nicely makes no odds.

Up until 2-3 years ago DH could take both of us into the BA lounge at Heathrow. I encountered this same problem myself a couple of years back and elected to wait outside looking like Orphan Annie whilst DH and my son went in. The woman on the desk refused to let more than one person go in as a guest.

I have seen children in the Club World lounges at T5 and as long as a parent keeps an eye on their child and walks around with them there is no issue. They would argue it is not the case that they do not want children/families in there.

PittTheYounger Fri 08-Aug-14 18:02:13

how long are you AT the airport for? do you really need 'a lounge'?

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Fri 08-Aug-14 18:02:15

Yy. It's not an anti family policy, it's a space policy - if he was travelling with two mates, he could only take one in.

Your DH could try speaking to the Executive club helpline say a week to ten days before departure to see if a "family" visit into the lounge can be done. If he is a gold card holder they may well be more inclined to do this.

ihatethecold Fri 08-Aug-14 18:21:35

I would tell my dh and child to go in the lounge. Then I would shop in peace!

FoxtrotOscarBackToEconomy Fri 08-Aug-14 18:28:08

This is a common complaint that people travel loads for business and never take a guest in all year and then would like to take in partner and kid(s) for the once a year holiday and cannot.

The advice on the frequent flyer Internet forums is (if you don't mind the possible embarrassment of being refuse) to ask nicely at the lounge entrance if it is possible, making clear that you know it is not policy and expecting to be refused. This can work with smallish children, but is unlikely to be successful with an additional adult guest.

Of course the really smug answer is if you want lounge access for all the family buy Club tickets! <helpful> Or alternatively your DH could do more flights with BA and earn the Gold Guest List status which entitles him to take two guests into the lounge. smile

However, I have spent many, many hours in the BA lounges at Heathrow and honestly they aren't that special to get disappointed about not being able to go in. unless you are in the position to drink copious quantities of alcohol and then it is a bit more interesting, particularly the First lounge where you can help yourself to champagne

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Fri 08-Aug-14 18:35:00

Love your name, FO!

cavkc Fri 08-Aug-14 19:23:57

Thinking about it my DH wouldn't dream of going into a lounge unless we could all go in, just wouldn't feel a nice start to our holiday. The lounge pass is called priority pass, it doesn't cover ba but there is still a suitable lounge, if not as plush at most airports, we get a card each included with our Black MasterCard, along with annual travel insurance

Massiveaggressive Fri 08-Aug-14 19:32:09

DH is a gold card holder - the last 3 family flights we've blagged lounge passes for the four of us (one at heathrow one at Dubai and one at Male) IMO you need to dress for an upgrade look confident be slightly self deprecating and look incredibly grateful if they do waive the rules.. Children need to be slightly older and impeccably behaved as well .. I doubt rambunctious toddlers would get through.

Massiveaggressive Fri 08-Aug-14 19:33:17

And always check in via first,class if you can.

anamenotanumber Sat 09-Aug-14 17:42:38

What brilliant advice - thanks and sorry I didn't return until now.

DH has a gold card and whilst I do see it as a work perk for him, he travels loads so we miss out on having him around a lot and therefore I figure that it'd be nice to get a benefit too (albeit BA doesn't understandably see it that way).

Totally get why they can't always let guests in. DC is a well behaved older child and definitely wouldn't be running around madly. Far better behaved than his dad grin

I was wondering if I could persuade some nice looking George Clooney business man travelling alone to take me in as a plus one but erm not sure I'd look the part to attract one no matter how hard I tried!!

We will check in at the first desk then and cross our fingers. It's only a short European flight so might well be chance of an upgrade which would solve the problem.

YES to the idea of child free shopping though but then when I looked at the T5 shop list it wasn't as enticing as I'd thought.

MASSIVE (great name) how did you get the passes?

CAV we have a Priority Pass thingy too but can't say we've ever used it. Worth having in case of delays though.

Might call the EC line too and see what they say.

MillyMollyMama Sat 09-Aug-14 21:13:02

A short European flight is usually peanuts for an upgrade - if they have the seats, of course!

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Sat 09-Aug-14 21:23:56

It's barely worth it for Club Europe, though. Especially as they'd probably like to sit 3 in a row.

anamenotanumber Sat 09-Aug-14 23:55:27

Agree that it isn't worth upgrading. If I can't join them in the lounge well I suppose i can enjoy some reading the papers and the like in peace!

TomatoSorbetWoman Sun 10-Aug-14 00:08:34

Oh FFS. Sit in the normal seats for an hour or so, I'm sure you will survive

anamenotanumber Sun 10-Aug-14 10:54:15

Tomato, how judgmental. Did I once make any sort of negative comment about sitting in other areas of the airport?

Dh and dc are having the treat of going in the lounge and it would be nice to all go at the start of our holiday. Dh really wants to take dc and it is a shame not to be able to do that together when the lounge will probably be quiet.

What's your problem with that?!!! Why read some sort of snobbery or fussiness into it.

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Sun 10-Aug-14 10:57:22

The T5 lounge is pretty spacious so you might get lucky - if not, you might want to go to GordonRamsay's PlaneFood!

TomatoSorbetWoman Sun 10-Aug-14 11:02:46

dh really wants to take a kid into a lounge. Well i hope the kids find it as thrilling as you seem to think its going to be. Its a waiting room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now