Infrequent Traveller - have I missed anything?

(13 Posts)
SorryForTheTypos Fri 01-Aug-14 09:17:53

Like the title says, I don't go abroad much and haven't been for years - can you tell me if I've missed anything?

Its an AI package holiday so I don't need to worry about food or airport transfers.

I've done the following:

- checked in online
- printed boarding passes
-arranged parking at the airport
- got passports
- got travel insurance and those health card things from the post office
-bought some of those plug converters
-told my bank I'll be abroad
-collected Euros

Is there anything I've missed?

Thank you in advance.

magimedi Fri 01-Aug-14 09:54:38

Turn the cat off & put the iron out!! grin

You sound sorted - haave a great time!

SorryForTheTypos Fri 01-Aug-14 10:49:22

grin

specialsubject Fri 01-Aug-14 11:05:41

looks pretty comprehensive to me!

remember the liquids, gels and pastes rules, no sharp things in hand luggage, no valuables in hold luggage.

and don't eat the ice-cream on a hotel buffet..

enjoy!

SorryForTheTypos Fri 01-Aug-14 11:53:40

Thanks special - just nearly had heart failure on another thread because I thought it said ALL liquids needed to be in hand luggage in those 100ml bottles and nearly went into meltdown smile

Right, just the packing to do now and can relax!

Thank you.

toolatetobed Fri 01-Aug-14 12:24:34

I think there's a new security rule that if you are taking a mobile phone or computer on the plane the battery has to be charged so that you can demonstrate to security staff that it works.

toolatetobed Fri 01-Aug-14 12:30:06

Driving licence if you might want to hire a car while abroad.

specialsubject Fri 01-Aug-14 12:48:57

the liquid gel and paste rules are on the airline and airport websites. In brief all such items (and it covers all makeup) must be in containers of 100ml or less if in handluggage, and all the containers must fit into one 20 x 20 cm plastic bag.

if you are taking hold luggage, put your liquids in there, well-wrapped. Keep medications, valuables and vital documents with you.

noramum Fri 01-Aug-14 14:04:57

Take some activity books, magazines etc in the luggage for the flight back. English entertainment is expensive abroad.

Small medical kit like plaster, painkillers and thermometer. DD has the habit of getting ill in the evening.

More sunlotion than you think you need they are expensive in resorts.

OldBeanbagz Fri 01-Aug-14 16:02:16

If you're flying from Manchester, then i would recommend Fast Track through security. It costs £3.50 and can be bought online.

The massive queues the last two occasions i've been through there recently would have been a nightmare otherwise.

If you're flying Gatwick i would probably pack a change of clothes in my hand luggage (just in case your luggage is late arriving)!

MillyMollyMama Fri 01-Aug-14 19:35:23

You cannot take water bottles through security so get them after security if you need them. We have been subjected to camera checks recently so these would need to be handy. I would make sure you get to the airport 3 hours before scheduled departure time. They can be really busy in August. I always take spare clothes in hand luggage in case of baggage delays. Also something to read. I also put my make up n a plastic bag at home as it saves digging in my bag for it at the airport. Have a great time.

NannyR Fri 01-Aug-14 20:36:38

Empty water bottles are fine to take through security and there's always a water fountain to fill it up with if you don't want to pay inflated prices for bottled water.

SorryForTheTypos Sat 02-Aug-14 14:51:48

Thank you all - lots of good tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now