Can anyone recommend a honeymoon style holiday please?

(55 Posts)
thecuntureshow Thu 17-Jul-14 22:37:57

We never had a honeymoon. We're looking to go for 2 wks January-March

I'd love to go to the Maldives or somewhere like that but we don't have that kind of money unfortunately

Found a lovely place in hmmBarbados earlier but it was £7k. We can't afford that. Maybe half? If that! grin

rhubarbcrumbleplease Thu 24-Jul-14 20:04:42

We've stayed here & really enjoyed it. Not high end luxury but fun & original and rather romantic. Ticks the box value wise but not much culture.
tensingpen.com

In the Indian Ocean my favourite is the Seychelles. It's heaven on earth.

MillyMollyMama Thu 24-Jul-14 18:36:05

Hawaii takes so long to get to and is very American. Not everyone's taste.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Thu 24-Jul-14 13:56:08

Expedia is coming up with Hawaii for 2 in January for �3,100?

WE went to Bali for �1,100 each for our honeymoon. It was lovely, albeit a long flight!

Lala5 Tue 22-Jul-14 23:37:17

Sri Lanka! I went to Maldives and Sri Lanka for honeymoon. Sri Lanka trumped the Maldives, beautiful fascinating country with wonderful people and lovely tourism. Some gorgeous hotels with excellent food and service. Can't recommend enough!

House swap?

Coconutty Tue 22-Jul-14 18:54:42

New York is fantastic.

PotatoPolly Tue 22-Jul-14 18:49:48

Have you considered a cruise OP? We cruised for our honeymoon and I can't wait to do another one!

123Jump Tue 22-Jul-14 18:46:26

We honeymooned in St Lucia, here. However, it was expensive. But there are many more resorts in St Lucia now, and much more affordable. The island is stunning, I would really recommend it.
We were advised to go to Barbados too. We wasted a day travelling there, and we did not like it at all.
We did Cuba for the Millennium, it was all inclusive, and it was fab. Amazing beach and weather. We just chilled, but you can split the holiday/do day trips to the cities, which are supposed to be brilliant.
Italy is divine, my number one holiday choice.

MillyMollyMama Mon 21-Jul-14 19:25:47

If this is a replacement honeymoon, do go somewhere you will remember. I would definitely second Cape Town and you could stay on the garden route or the winelands area too. However, this is high season in SA, but not in California. Try 10 days and go somewhere better.

ColdCottage Mon 21-Jul-14 09:27:39

Sorry for no more replies. Had guests. They go this afternoon so will come back then smile

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Sun 20-Jul-14 15:46:00

If you fancy something other than a honeymoon resort type place then I can really, really recommend Cape Town. It is so beautiful, the weather will be lovely in our Spring time. The food and wine is incredible, the days out amazing plus it's great value for money when you get there. It's my favourite place in the world.

thecuntureshow Sun 20-Jul-14 13:10:55

You are both right Heels99 and kundy! grin

This thread has given me lots of food for thought.

We're now thinking of doing super cheap week in the UK in September (mainly for the break off work and annual leave to use) and then pushing our jan/Feb holiday back. I've done the Cotswolds and Cornwall before and we've both done Devon so going to look for somewhere different for our sept break

We could spend more if we wanted though so the more expensive ideas are still much appreciated. Thank you

Kundry Sat 19-Jul-14 17:43:55

If you like art, culture and food why are you looking at standard honeymoon resorts in Barbados grin?

Push the dates back slightly so you get better European weather, do cheap flights and then enjoy yourself doing the Italy trip you were dreaming of. Or Spain/Portugal. We are lucky enough to be going back to Italy this year (unfortunately still in August) - this time hiring a car and staying in agriturismos. We've sought out upmarket ones where we can sit late into the evening having traditional Italian food made by the owner's mother type places - it is going to be lush!

BTW what sort of culture are you in to? Verona is v romantic and the opera festival is a great experience.

Heels99 Sat 19-Jul-14 15:48:28

I think some of the suggestions here are a little ambitious given a 1500 per person budget for a 2 week holiday!

mummaduke Sat 19-Jul-14 14:08:31

Or Hong Kong & Phillipines???

mummaduke Sat 19-Jul-14 14:08:07

India&Andaman Islands? Or Thailand?

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Sat 19-Jul-14 14:03:14

I found Italy great with DC. We've been to Rome, Sicily, Pisa, sienna, sorrento, Pompeii, Venice, Verona and skiing as a family.

Ceadagam Sat 19-Jul-14 13:34:02

Sorry, I didn't notice you were going in Jan/Feb when I posted.

If you're planning on having kids at some stage then I'd try and plan the type of holiday you won't have the opportunity to get again once kids come along, iykwim.

Italy is amazing, wasted on our kids though so this is top of our list for when they've flown the nest. Personally on your budget I would change the travel dates and go in Europe, your money will go further and either you can stay in nicer accomodation or go for longer.

iwantgin Sat 19-Jul-14 12:43:16

It depends on what you like to do.

Me and DH had our honeymoon in Tenerife. Not the place one would first think of when planning a honeymoon for most, I know.

But - we stayed ina very nice hotel. It was up the coast - fairly quiet area. Mostly adults.

We only had a week - as have DC, and didn't want to take them ;)

We had a great time - lots of lounging, eating, drinking, touring around the island.

I can't remember how much it cost- it was something in the region of £1000 each for the week on a bed and breakfast basis - so not a cheapo place.

baggyb Sat 19-Jul-14 11:45:46

Sensatori resort in Mexico!

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Sat 19-Jul-14 11:44:06

If you want a resort based holiday how about the Dominican Republic?you get a more for your money there? I've been to a couple of hotels in Samana and Punta Cuna that were very nice. Cayo Levantado which is on the beautiful white sand island where the bicardo ad was filmed many years ago is fab.

thecuntureshow Sat 19-Jul-14 11:28:48

Coldcottage - a mix would be good. We like art culture food. Not sporty

Kundy - we could be more flexible. I thought about then to get away in miserable winter, and to be honest not before because we need to save the money for it (hope to put a deposit down the pay off nearer the time)

Thanks for the tip re 'luxury'.

We actually went to Italy for a few nights last September and loved it. At the time we wished we'd done 2-3 weeks and explored more. It's on our list to go back to!

Kundry Sat 19-Jul-14 10:51:57

What do you want to do and does it have to be Jan-March? What can you compromise on?

We spent far less than £3K on ours doing a multi-centre trip round Italy in August. Compromises for us were the weather - it was insanely hot, we don't do hot - and travelling by train between cities - actually turned out to be not that bad. We still stayed in fantastically romantic hotels, ate at amazing restaurants and did everything we wanted to do. Flights to Europe are obvs much cheaper.

When looking at hotels it was clear that at the top of the market large markups are going on for things we had no interest in but look 'luxury'. Once we ignored every hotel with a wellness centre for example, we found loads of family owned, individual and romantic places that were actually much more us than a 5* luxury chain. And we did get to stay in castles and palaces.

ColdCottage Sat 19-Jul-14 10:17:55

What sort of things do you like? Are you sporty? Do you like adventure? Would you want something cultural? A mix of interesting things to do combined with some luxury days?

ShanghaiDiva Sat 19-Jul-14 09:04:35

Cambodia?
Vietnam?
Both pretty cheap for hotels and food - food is fab and lots of amazing sights. You need to avoid Vietnamese new year though - end of February next year. Cambodian new year is april so not a problem.
Chiang Mai in Thailand, cheaper than beach resorts.
Hong Kong or Singapore combined with a beach destination?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now