2 months away with 2 and 3 year old would you and what would you do?

(13 Posts)
shabbadab Thu 10-Jul-14 21:24:40

We've got the opportunity to take 2 months out with DC's 2 an 3 before I go back to work and DH returns. It would mean taking DC1 out of nursery and we would be looking at an abroad trip somewhere where we could chill out, spend time together. I would be keen to try and dock in one place or have a camper van/similar rather than having 1/2 week rentals so it seemed more like one experience than lots of normal holidays bolted together. I would love to do something more experiencey too but unfortunately we don't have a rich aunt with a spare vinyard in France which needs tending (or similar) and I don't think anyone would want us for WWOOFing / similar!

I am a bit concerned whether or not as adults we are being selfish and it would be a bit disruptive to DC1 or whether for the experience and the time we'd have together it'd more than make up for it??

What would you do? Any ideas please?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 10-Jul-14 21:28:47

Sounds bliss!!!

Id pick somewhere with a beach and a park / grassy area nearby. And agree - one spot and stay there!

Sorry I have no ideas where to go but do not think it is even one jot selfish!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 10-Jul-14 21:32:46
frignorant Thu 10-Jul-14 21:33:21

Fabulous.

You could tour around Europe in a camper van rather than stay in one place. It doesn't have to be expensive. You could have a couple of weeks in each place so you don't feel that you're on the road the whole time with little ones.

What's your budget?

TheXxed Thu 10-Jul-14 21:34:36

What time of year are you going?

Spottybra Thu 10-Jul-14 21:42:05

It sounds fabulous. Take lots of pictures to help them remember the experience.

I'd opt for low key easy living near a beach rather than a cultural break. Mine are 4 and 3yrs. Get an idea of what they like. My dc are sporty and active but not bothered about animals at all. Not even lions, giraffes or leopards so my dream of a safari is vanishing. They do like watching and catching fish....see, beach life with a nearby aquarium for us! Perhaps the Galapagos might be worth a look?

shabbadab Thu 10-Jul-14 21:58:51

It'd be this September and October so not much time to prepare so depending on where we go there might be some cooler weather. I would love it to be maybe a bit mild so outdoor pursuits were realistic!

Our budget is sort of variable as we are renovating our house so need to bare that in mind. Ideally no more than around the 5K mark.

ThinkI'beBeenHacked - is that your house? It looks beautiful. Yes we would definitely consider a house share but not sure if we have a caliber home suitable for a home exchange / in the same league as your link.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 10-Jul-14 22:14:09

Haha I wish!!! I just looked on the house exchange website for interesting locations avaliable Sept and Oct.

shabbadab Thu 10-Jul-14 22:26:57

: ). Yeah, it would be lovely to stay there but don't think our pad would come up to scratch!!

TheXxed Fri 11-Jul-14 18:41:45

Have you thought about visiting the garden route in South Africa it's beautiful beyond words.

uk.pinterest.com/karenwarneke/garden-route-south-africa/#

Ostrich racing is a must

chocomochi Fri 11-Jul-14 19:23:23

Campervanning around Europe would be a good, cheap option. You'll have everything in one place but still get to see/do lots of things in many different countries. It may also give your DCs some "stability" being in the same place for sleeping for two months.

CampingClaire Sat 12-Jul-14 10:35:44

Check out 'housesitting'. You could get a long stay in one area and maybe campervan it at either end and you don't pay for the house in the middle? That would give you the opportunity to 'live the local life' a bit. I'd jump at the chance. If you don't go now, you'll be tied into proper school terms for years!! Go, Go , Go!!

AlpacaLypse Sat 12-Jul-14 10:41:47

I did ten weeks with dtds when they were four. And I was alone for nearly half the time.

It was amazing, but it was pre-digital camera days and I wish I'd taken more photos as they can only remember tiny bits of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now