ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Passport Processing Thread for OVERSEAS applicants

(45 Posts)
miraim Wed 25-Jun-14 12:19:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

miraim Wed 25-Jun-14 12:42:41

doradoo Wed 25-Jun-14 12:54:22

We sent Ds's renewal from Germany in the middle of May - they've received it (stupidly didn't keep a note of the date) but no more info.

Think we're on at least 4 weeks - we travel on 19th July...... But are very much stuck at the mo as DS has no other form of ID at all!

miraim Wed 25-Jun-14 13:22:32

jacksoneer Wed 25-Jun-14 13:51:56

I live in Hong Kong, I applied online on May 27, all document arrived Liverpool on May 28, confirmed my application on the May 29. Called 0300 many many times, told me that I will receive calls from Liverpool office still no call back. Found the 0845 number and called, waiting for almost 40mins till someone picked up the phone, the guy who picked up was really nice and helpful, told me that my application was taken by examiner on June 22, I told him I will study abroad, and will leave the country early next month, he told me to fax him a letter and explained the reason why. So I'm waiting call from the examiner...I hope I can get my passport back before I go to the airport.
I also send emails to Paul Pugh, Theresa May....don't know if it will work but at least I did what I can do right now...

Mutley77 Wed 25-Jun-14 14:05:15

Sorry to say but I applied for DD's passport in Feb/March this year and it did take about 6 weeks (I think that was before this whole "crisis" with passports in the UK started) but they did say it would be a minimum of 6 weeks and unfortunately it was.

I don't think it's that unreasonable for it to arrive at the end of May and be opened on 3 June - that's only a few days??

Kikaninchen Wed 25-Jun-14 14:25:02

We sent ours mid May, mine and DD's renewals. I checked on the 28th May and they had received them both - should have checked earlier as I don't know the exact day they got them.

I phoned the helpline the other day, I think the person that answered was in Belfast, though I had sent the applications to Liverpool.

He couldn't tell me anything really, just said to wait until 6 weeks are up, then phone back, so I will give it another week.

We travel at the end of July, and we have already booked it. If it takes no longer than 8 weeks we should be just about OK, very tight, but OK, so it's heartening to hear that the worst case is 7-8 weeks (though I am slightly sceptical).

We are only British, not entitled to any other nationality (unfortunately!) so we are without any form of ID here. Which may actually be illegal here, technically hmm.

It's not just about a holiday for us, it's seeing family who we haven't seen since Christmas. DC have new twin cousins who they've only seen on Skype.

AphraBane Wed 25-Jun-14 17:33:17

"We are only British, not entitled to any other nationality (unfortunately!) so we are without any form of ID here. Which may actually be illegal here, technically"

Are you in Germany or another German-speaking country, kikaninchen? In Germany I think the law is that if you are questioned by police, you are required to bring ID to a police station within 7 days - but it's possibly you could take along your receipt for you passport application (if you applied online don't you get a written confirmation?) plus your birth cert and polizeiliche Anmeldung, and that might be accepted instead. I must say, in 22 years living here I've never had to do that, but I do frequently need my passport for picking up parcels from the post office or at the bank. Otherwise in shops etc my driving licence is usually accepted.

I was incredibly lucky with my renewal, by pure chance, as I applied just before Christmas simply because my passport was nearly up and I had no travel immediately planned - applied and paid online, sent off the documentation and old passport, and got my new one back two weeks later, despite Christmas coming in the middle of it all. I think I must have struck lucky because they'd just set up the new system but the summer rush hadn't yet hit. It did occur to me as strange that I had to send it to the UK instead of Düsseldorf, but I had no idea it was becoming such a big problem until a few weeks ago.

It's the last time I'll ever have to do the renewal, as we've applied for German citizenship, and the ID cards here are so much cheaper and valid for all European travel.

Kikaninchen Wed 25-Jun-14 18:08:59

Yes we are Aphrabane. I don't think we got a receipt for the application, just a password for an online tracking thing. Not that it's really likely to be an issue (must make sure any possible parcels are addressed to dh though).

We are years away from qualifying for German citizenship sad

jacksoneer Wed 25-Jun-14 18:18:47

kikaninchen I suggest that you call the 0845 number to Liverpool office directly, calling 0300 is completely wasting your time.

Kikaninchen Wed 25-Jun-14 19:32:49

Really, Jackson? I was worried it would cost loads for an international call, and the helpline picked up almost straight away.

Maybe I will wait until 6 weeks, then phone Liverpool.

jacksoneer Wed 25-Jun-14 20:00:53

I called Liverpool because I'm leaving in 14 days...I'm still worried about my passport...at least now it got to one of the examiners' hand. I hope it will mail it back before I leave.
0845 number is worth to call, 0300 number just telling you the same thing that you saw on the passportapplication.service.gov.uk. First time i call, I waited for 30mins, then I gave up. The second time, I got my headphone, sat and relax, waited for at least 40 mins until a man picked up my call, he was able to tell me what my application status was. He put a message in their system that I urgently need my passport for travel, but no promises that can be complete before I leave the country because overseas application suppose to take at least six weeks to process. I'm now waiting their examiner call. Hope for the best.

Janjanmama Thu 26-Jun-14 00:03:14

My timeline for dd's renewal, from HK:

1/5 Liverpool confirmed received app
21/6 Dispatched
24/6 DHL delivered new passport
25/6 DHL delivered old passport

I asked help from MP after 5 weeks' waiting. Then emailed Paul Pugh. Status updated to 'finished printing' a week after.

brannagirl Thu 26-Jun-14 10:20:30

Hello, I don't know if this will help anyone but I had a passport application in Belfast for over 5.5 weeks due to travel on the 2nd July. I rang the Belfast office direct (after many pointless general helpline calls). A women promised to try to get my application (for a standard adult renewal) expedited. That was 9.15am 24th June. 12.30pm I get an email saying my photos were not scanning correctly for them and had been rejected, but would I give them a call. I did, in tears practically, and a lovely examiner said that while she couldn't guarantee the passport would be done if I posted new photos, if I could come to Belfast, the passport would be done in a couple of hours while I waited. I do live in the Rep.of Ireland, but a long way from Belfast. Long story (with more drama) short, today I have my passport and I'm back home. They are very helpful if you can get through to them and they consider you have genuine concerns.

doradoo Thu 26-Jun-14 20:48:34

The whole centralising thing is ridiculous - at least when we could go locally to the consulate there was a chance of getting it sorted promptly - now we need to leave at least six weeks for a renewal..... difficult to manage with DH's work, me, 3 DCs and all the times we need/want to travel - trying to find a suitable spot to send - and a suitable countersignatory - do not make for a smooth and speedy process.

Have said to DH tonight - can he plan now when he's going to travel for the next few months as we need new passports next May - so he needs a clear six weeks (minimum) to find to get it sent off..... we only had to go 20mins down the road to our consulate before and it was always ready within a week.....

No hope of going to the office in person now - as we couldn't travel anyway as they hold the passports...... marooned overseas!

Irishtown Thu 26-Jun-14 22:12:22

Jan pleased to see you got it....glad it worked out for you. Enjoy your

Irishtown Thu 26-Jun-14 22:13:10

Jan enjoy your holiday. Xx

Janjanmama Fri 27-Jun-14 00:09:16

Thanks Irishtown! Good to hear from you again. You have a wonderful holiday too! Xx

LivinLaVidaLocal Sun 29-Jun-14 09:45:57

tertle Mon 30-Jun-14 16:09:27

I'm so annoyed with the passport office! My dd was born in Switzerland mid march and I received her birth cert. at the end of April (things take a while here!). Got together all the docs for her passport, including my father's original birth certificate and posted on April the 30th. As my mum has died, I couldn't track her birth certificate down but was assured by passport office that a letter with all of her details (dob, place and date of marriage etc.) would be fine.

After application I was told 6 weeks for processing which was then upped to 8. Called again today for an update as if they were going to send it in the next week or so it would get returned as we're out of the country and the post office only hold things for 7 days here. I was told that someone would call me back with an update and if needed they could send passport to an alternative address but only with a proof of residence at that second address. Which I don't have!

And now someone has just called back to say that without my mum's original birth cert. there is nothing they can do. Two months to tell me that!

Thankfully dd has dual nationality and we were able to get her second passport processed within 10 days from the local consulate but still, yargh!. Why the UK had to centralize everything I do not know. Yargh!

Mutley77 Tue 01-Jul-14 09:56:40

My documents were fine but they were folded so I'm not sure about your marriage certificate. Can't you get a copy from the registry office to send around (I have sent mine off for loads of things and to try and keep it flat would have been highly inconvenient grin)

jacksoneer Wed 02-Jul-14 04:12:51

I got my passport today :D
I got mine in 5 weeks.

Nandocushion Wed 02-Jul-14 04:27:38

They received our two applications (child first time) in late March, we got them back about two weeks ago, including a ten-day delay while DH got his BC sorted. We are in US. Feel lucky after reading reports of huge delays, but in general I'm happy with the service we received when calling, etc.

And yes, got all our docs back in the same condition they were sent within about six days of receiving the passports.

flowerpowergirl Wed 02-Jul-14 04:52:38

We are in passport hell with DH application. Applied from china beginning April, told 4-6 weeks. DH sent a merry dance ever since. Loads of phone calls - always 'in checking stage'. Now told photo no good even tho checked and approved in Beijing. So now he has aborted process and flies to UK for appointment at passport office. What a fiasco. Our residency expires soon and he is always travelling so the one off emergency document doesn't help. And all he needed was a larger passport cos the old one is full! I feel so furious! Sorry not meaning to hijack your thread but am now worried he will have a problem at the appointment and then we are well and truly stuffed. Grrrr!! Any ideas?

flowerpowergirl Wed 02-Jul-14 04:55:49

Miraim can't you get an emergency travel doc so you can still go on holiday? My friend got one in Beijing and that worked fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now