Passport processing time 2

(622 Posts)
sunshinehopeful Thu 19-Jun-14 08:11:03

Since the last thread (http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_advice_tips/a2043055-Passport-Processing-Time) is now full I though we could continue our discussions here!

funambulist Thu 19-Jun-14 11:47:05

Thanks sunshinehopeful, I've been watching and participating in this thread with some apprehension.

I sent my son's child passport renewal off via check and send on 2 June, so it's not "late" yet, but given the problems I'm keeping a close eye on things. I sent off an email via the Passport Office website a few days ago and have just received this reply.

Dear funambulist

Thank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that we received your application at our Belfast office on 06 Jun 2014.

Your passport application is currently going through the examination process.

Correctly completed applications are generally being processed within the timescales of the service you have applied for:

If you posted your application the current processing time is approximately 4 weeks, allowing for postage. Please note this is not a guaranteed service time. Please note that if you are aged 16 or over and are applying for your first passport you will be required to attend an interview as part of the application process. We recommend that you allow 6 weeks for your application to be processed.

If you applied using the Check and Send service, available through selected branches of Post Office Limited, your application has a turnaround target of 3 weeks. This, however, is not a guaranteed service and turnaround times may exceed this during periods of peak demand. Please note that if you are aged 16 or over and are applying for your first passport you will be required to attend an interview as part of the application process. We recommend that you allow 6 weeks for your application to be processed.

Thank you

Customer service e-mail team

So in theory they are still aiming for 3 weeks for check and send renewals.

sighbynight Thu 19-Jun-14 13:00:00

I applied for a child renewal on 5 June, using Check and Send. This was stupid of me as we are flying on 5 July. I spoke to the 0300 number a couple of times and was never called back, but I was told that I could expect the passport back on 9 July, so it would be expedited somewhat.

Anyway, I phoned Durham this morning (on hold for half an hour) and was told that the passport was being printed that day, and it should be with me by Monday lunchtime. If that happens, it will be under 3 weeks.

So. Crisis averted for now. Lesson learned. The failing was mine, not the passport offices'!

Janjanmama Thu 19-Jun-14 13:11:29

So lucky! Seems Durham office is much better than Liverpool... 3 days ago they promised my MP will contact me but still no phone call no email. angry

sunshinehopeful Thu 19-Jun-14 17:01:17

Funambulist I spoke to Belfast office today. They were working on applications received 30th May this morning and moving onto 1st &2nd June this afternoon. To quote she said "we're rattling through them rightly". Mine was received 3rd June and she said it should be with examiner over weekend and providing there's no errors, should be with me We'd/Thurs next week. Given that schedule you could expect yours next weekend?

When do u fly?

pickletray Thu 19-Jun-14 17:10:52

To start this new thread off with something positive- Just received my son's first passport!

Posted application on 10th May to Belfast, they officially received it on 27th May, which stressed me out no end. Several phone calls later and learnt it went to be examined the start of this week, then got a text yesterday to say it was being printed. The Belfast office do seem to be shifting through them.

Good luck everyone.

RainbowsStars Thu 19-Jun-14 17:18:52

I applied online for my renewal on June 6th and posted the forms 1st class on the 9th, I logged on to check the status and it is still showing as waiting for information from me, I was hoping by now that it would at least show as received. I filled in the online contact form for the Glasgow office and haven't heard anything, I need to travel in September and need more than 6 months left on my passport, hence renewing it now.

Lookingforadvice123 Thu 19-Jun-14 20:10:14

Didn't realise the other thread was full! I rang Newport passport office directly today as the post office I sent it through we're adamant that's where mine would be processed...well that was a LIE as Newport do not process them anymore. So mine, sent from Cardiff, is in Peterborough, why I don't know! They only received it on Tuesday as it was sent from Newport last Friday, having been sent by me on the Wednesday! So the delay doesn't surprise me if it takes a week just to get the blinkin application to the correct office for processing! I'm not going to panic as I'm not travelling for 6 weeks, but having been told by the advice line that I could pay to upgrade to fast track, the lady in Newport told me I couldn't upgrade until it had been there for at least 3 weeks and it was a week before I was travelling. So I think I'm just going to have to lie about my travel date, no way am I risking our honeymoon!

Anyone got any positive experience of Peterborough?

jamtoast12 Thu 19-Jun-14 22:06:34

There really is no consistency with it so difficult to give timescale....I now know 3 families who got renewals back very recently within 2-3 weeks liverpool via check and send. First kids passport received by friends this week took 4 weeks 2 days at liverpool with no chasing.

Janjanmama Thu 19-Jun-14 23:41:26

Jamtoast this is such a good news, Liverpool, i'm still waiting, 7 weeks, dd's third renewal.

chocchoc30 Fri 20-Jun-14 07:01:07

Still waiting fir a call back from them been well over 48 hrs now. I am beginning to panic now as we fly a week Sunday.
We were told we could fast track where we might have to pay but we're waiting for them to call us.

sunshinehopeful Fri 20-Jun-14 08:07:27

The passport offices should share on their website which dated applications they are working through. Would save a lot of ppl a lot of time ringing!

Lookingforadvice they are meant to ask for proof for travel dates if you get upgraded for free so just be careful what you tell them! They can expedite your application form nearer the time. Good luck!

chocchoc30 Fri 20-Jun-14 08:14:47

They asked for our flight number but OH never had it but he gave the lady all the details of where we were flying from etc.

Lookingforadvice123 Fri 20-Jun-14 08:21:47

Oh sugar do they really! Better get researching flights to back up my story, surely they don't ask for actual visible proof eg a confirmation email? There's no way I'm telling then I'm travelling 1st August as I'm sure my passport will be put swiftly to the back of the queue! I'll happily just pay to upgrade, would I need to provide proof for that do you think? Argh this whole thing is a nightmare I wish I'd just fast tracked to begin with, the reason I didn't is because when I called the advice line to book the appointment, the automated message told me not to if I'm flying in more than 3 weeks!

bruffin Fri 20-Jun-14 08:42:02

I applied for DD 16 passport and DH passport online and the form reached them 2nd May.

DD's was a renewal but first adult and that took 1 week . Thankfully dd hasnt changed that much since she was 11.

DH's was a bit more of a problem. He had shaved off a moustache and gone grey since the last passport and for some reason decided not to wear his glasses this time either. The online form does not have a countersignature box.
They received the passport same day as DDs. Online it kept saying being processed but that was it. 3 weeks to the day we got a form back in the post for a countersignature. Original form was sent to Glasgow but this was from Belfast. Sent it back and we finally got it back 12th June, so roughly 6 weeks.

chocchoc30 Fri 20-Jun-14 08:55:37

No he just said he never had it as he was at work. It's so stressful there is no way I can go
without my daughter. Ours were done in 2 1/2 weeks although they were only renewals.

lexiferluther Fri 20-Jun-14 09:18:37

Lookingforadvice123 Peterborough hasn't appeared much on the previous thread, from reading around they seem to be coping ok which, since our passports are there, I'm hoping is true. Is yours a first passport or a renewal? If it's a renewal you really should have it back in plenty of time - so please don't lie about your travel dates, if everybody did that then those who were really travelling very soon could find their passports at the bottom of the pile in favour of those who aren't. There's also the risk of being found out and then refused a fast track at all even if it's almost time to travel!

Lookingforadvice123 Fri 20-Jun-14 09:27:14

Argh I know lexiforluther that's the battle I'm having in my conscience! I would rather just pay for the fast track once the 3 weeks is up, does anyone know if you can do this? I don't expect it for free seeing as I'm not travelling urgently!

Lookingforadvice123 Fri 20-Jun-14 09:27:56

Ps it's a renewal - I've included my marriage certificate to change my surname, but other than that it's straightforward, no counter signatures etc,

chocchoc30 Fri 20-Jun-14 09:30:13

Renewal should be fine I wouldn't worry just yet like I said ours were back in just over two weeks and mine was a name change.

Lookingforadvice123 Fri 20-Jun-14 09:33:30

Thanks chocchoc30 that's reassuring. I hope your daughter's comes in time!

I don't want to be negative but to warn anyone travelling very soon after 11th July - there's likely to be a strike on the 11th, so that will put passports back a day.

Desperatemummy1 Fri 20-Jun-14 10:50:13

My passport saga has thankfully ended after 4 weeks of stress so thought I'd share timelines with you all :

Sent 3 childrens applications off on and received at office 2nd may, (1 new passport and 2 renewals)

All completed online

May 21st: got letter from Peterborough about 1 child renewal , sent further document back (passport was for step son so slightly more complex)
May 23rd: text to say it had been printed
May 31st: received passport

Other two went to Durham lots of phone calls to 0845 number and my MP who made representations on our behalf couldn't tell us when they would be examined.

Daily phonecalls to Durham 0845 number
Had various call backs from Glasgow, Durham - I think this was due to MP but none at this stage could tell when they would be examined

June 10th: rung 0845 number and they were with examiner
June 11th: received phonecall from examiner to say they needed to write to counter signatory for both boys to confirm he was who he said he was (company director)
June 23rd: letter received by counter sig and sent back special delivery
June 25th : letter back at examiners desk (phoned to tell me)
June 26th: passports printed at 830 am
June 27th: passports arrived by DX

We travel 5th July

So, I think once they get to the examiner it's pretty fast

Wouldn't wish this on anyone - totally made the run up to the hols stressful.

I don't think the examiners are at fault - down to the mismanagement of the work load by managers.

Our examiner, Michael at Durham, was very understanding and from the minute our applications sat on his desk, he did everything he could to help get ours processed.

My advice would be get your pm involved if travelling soon and hound the 0845 number appropriate to where your application is being held.

mirpuppet Fri 20-Jun-14 11:02:56

Desperatemummy1

I'm confused to day is 20 June how are you listing dates in the future?

June 23rd: letter received by counter sig and sent back special delivery
June 25th : letter back at examiners desk (phoned to tell me)
June 26th: passports printed at 830 am
June 27th: passports arrived by DX

kutiekathryn Fri 20-Jun-14 11:25:04

does anyone have any advice on how to get through to the 0845 number for liverpool? i was on hold to them yesterday for 2 hours 45 mins before giving up. need to speak to them quite urgently and i am calling off my mobile so conscious about the high bills i am going to be getting!

Desperatemummy1 Fri 20-Jun-14 12:43:04

Sorry - had the baby on me whilst typing and have been looking at the calendar with the wrong dates I was a week ahead. Passports received today I.e. June 20 - I can't amend the previous post for some reason x

That should read June 16 , June 18, June 19, June 20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now