USA drinking laws

(12 Posts)
Princessjonsie Fri 13-Jun-14 03:12:06

My son is working in Arizona for nine months and he is 20years old . He turns 21 early august . He is staying with host families . Obviously being a British Uni student he has been used to being able to drink alcohol . He is aware he is unable to drink in bars etc but the law is unclear if he is allowed any within the home . He is not looking to get steaming drunk but say a beer after work or at a BBQ . Does anyone know who perhaps lives in the state ?

WhoDat Fri 13-Jun-14 03:30:02

AFAIK it is illegal for anyone to drink under their state's age limit regardless where they are, so yes it would be against the law. Now if he's just watching tv at home, not going anywhere and he has a couple of beer I can't imagine he would be caught, but they can and will arrest people for public intoxication and if he was caught under age too it wouldn't be great for him.

AcrossthePond55 Fri 13-Jun-14 04:17:10

It is illegal in Arizona for a minor to possess, consume, or be under the influence of alcohol at any time. It is also illegal to furnish alcohol to a minor.

I will say it's probably not uncommon for an underage person to drink in a private home. I know I had a glass of wine (or two) at family dinners when I was a teen. But there are heavy fines and/or jail time for both the minor and the adult who allowed them to drink if an underaged person injures someone or damages property while drunk. It's also usually an automatic loss of a driver's license, also, if you are caught drink driving.

kickassangel Fri 13-Jun-14 05:23:54

Definitely illegal and would result in him being sent home, possibly with a ban from entering the US for quite some time, probably never allowed a work or study visa again.

Having said that I drank in bars and restaurants when age 19 and studying in the US. But the consequences are pretty dire so he should be careful.

Princessjonsie Fri 13-Jun-14 09:08:23

Have passed on your comments and thanks . He has decided he won't risk it just for a couple on months as he is loving his job and life out there and wants to make a career of it. There are strict rules with the company he works for about behaviour and drinking when he is 21 as they work with kids so he and his host family wondered as England are playing in the World Cup and they are watching and holding a BBQ and he is the only coach under 21. It will taste all the sweeter when august rolls by and they get to Las Vegas

AcrossthePond55 Fri 13-Jun-14 14:56:00

A lot of US businesses, especially those that deal with children, have strict 'no tolerance' policies when it comes to their employees and drugs/alcohol. And most of those businesses also have a 'no rehire' policy if someone is sacked for violating it. I think he is being very wise.

He is being very wise not to drink alcohol until he is 21.

When he does visit Las Vegas and is then of the age to drink it would also be wise of him to carry with him some official government photo id to prove his age (UK or Arizona state photocard driving licence of he has one for instance). If he looks young anyway they will ask proof of age before serving him any alcoholic beverage.

expatinscotland Fri 13-Jun-14 15:32:49

When in a huge queue for our flight back to Denver from Vegas, a mate and I scored two expensive bottles each of fairly expensive spirits from two silly under 21 girls who foolishly put them in their hand luggage (back in the days when you could take liquid on planes). Ah, the taste of cheap Stoli was divine.

They are strange about drinking there, which might in part explain why they have such a huge drug problem. Drugs are often cheaper and more accessible than alcohol.

lljkk Fri 13-Jun-14 15:37:10

It would be extremely normal for him to encounter other 20yos (American nationals) who regularly drink tonnes. But risky for him to do the same, I'm sorry.

haggisaggis Fri 13-Jun-14 15:44:57

Agree they can be a bit funny over alcohol in US - I was told off for allowing my teenage son to lift a bottle of wine from the trolley and put it on the counter at the liquor store..

Princessjonsie Sat 14-Jun-14 02:25:57

He is used to carrying ID in the uk as he does look young so it is nothing new to him. He isn't bothered about drinking apart from when in a social environment which in the Uk it's the norm. He isn't a big drinker. He has been a Uni student for three years and has had his share of heavy nights but I noticed when he was home, apart from the odd night out catching up with football mates, he didn't drink at all. I would buy cans for the fridge but noticed when he went back they would remain undrunk. I don't drink at all so he didn't even bother taking them back. When out as a family he would drink coke . Thank for your comments and I've passed them on and I'm sure on his 21st hangover will be enjoyed lol

Before he turns 21, don't let him even hold a beer for someone while they go to the bathroom. This is considered possession of alcohol and he can be prosecuted for it.

I know of cases where this has happened and british students on internships in the US have been fired and sent home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now