£6500 for a weeks holiday?!?!

(95 Posts)
schoolsgettingonmynerves Thu 05-Jun-14 08:03:50

There are 3 adults and 3 kids (2 toddlers one new born), going to a 5 star all inclusive for a week in Greece….

Does this price seem wildly high?? I know its high and I choked when I saw the cost but is this what you have to pay these days to stay 5 star?? I am in shock.

I don't think its high if you think about what you get for your money. 5 flights, 7 nights in a hotel, 3 meals a day, snacks, drinks etc. unlimited - maid service etc etc.

Its expensive of course but still good value iyswim

ssd Thu 05-Jun-14 08:08:19

hard one to ask on MN

theres folk like me who couldnt pay that in a million years, and others who think its nothing

are you used to 5 star then?

BeckAndCall Thu 05-Jun-14 08:10:12

Including flights, presumably?

How many hotel rooms are involved -2 or -3?

It's the 3 adults bit that tips it into the £££ category, I guess. The children should be relatively cheap I'd have thought.

But if it's the perfect holiday for you and you can afford it, then do it!

titchy Thu 05-Jun-14 08:12:29

Well we usually manage not to pay more than £500pp for half board short haul in peak season so it sounds a lot to me! AI for small children seems like a waste of money tbh.

lljkk Thu 05-Jun-14 08:15:13

I wouldn't do it unless I had 6.5 million in the bank.

Why do you need 5*? What do you get for 5* that you wouldn't get for 3* or 4*?

mumtosome61 Thu 05-Jun-14 08:15:23

For me, it would be out of the question - but best advice would be to shop around, have a look at what different websites can offer and go from there.

I'd say if you can afford it and want it, go for it. For piece of mind it may very well be worth it - enjoy!

stripedtortoise Thu 05-Jun-14 08:18:47

I think that asking on here is sort of futile. There will be loads who think it's an absurd price for a holiday but can still afford it so will pay it. Those who think it's reasonable and others who have never seen that sort of money in their lifetime.

For the record, I think it's absurd for a holiday. Why 5 star? What do you get for that? But if it was what I wanted and more and I had the cash without debt, I'd pay it.

schoolsgettingonmynerves Thu 05-Jun-14 08:19:14

Thanks girls. Believe me we aren't millionaires although we could afford it so I don't want to plead poverty on here as I realise there are some that wouldn't even consider this. it just makes me feel sick to pay that. The reason I said 5 star was because I have a baby that is only a few months and I just figured that by going 5 star I am giving her the best in the way of safety - I know this is crap but it's what makes me feel better! I will ask for other options ie 4 star and 3 and just do my homework.

Lilaclily Thu 05-Jun-14 08:19:15

For me it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a weeks holiday

But then we spend £450 for a self catering cottage in Wales

Some would say that's too expensive & say they spend £9.50 on a Sun holiday at Butlins

Horses for courses

stripedtortoise Thu 05-Jun-14 08:19:48

Oh p.s assuming the kids go free, the cost is actually for three adults no? It is an absurd price.

Tweetinat Thu 05-Jun-14 08:22:42

I too think it's a crazy price - for the location, number of adults and length. You can definitely get 5* for much less than that. You're being ripped off.

Infant will be free but other kids not necessarily - free child places go pretty quickly so op is probably paying for them. I really don't think its expensive for what you get.
I couldn't afford it but it does baffle me that people think you can fly 5 people a few thousand miles then stay in a lovely hotel with swimming pools, spas, daily maid service and as much food and drink as you like for a couple of grand. If you work out what you would spend putting it all together separately it doesn't seem that high to me.

Well I'd pay about 2-2.5k for all in for four in Majorca and top star.

So whilst it's a lot it certainly isn't outside of possibility. And it's 5 star. Like, WTAF did you think it might be?

I'm not sure your rationale makes sense. I'd choose based on other criteria then make sure they had cots etc.

For example we decided to go with a package recently as we figured plenty of other babies and small children would have been to the hotel already and they would know what they were doing but they did put us on the second floor with no lift and a double buggy

Iflyaway Thu 05-Jun-14 08:40:30

Well, to me it would be a waste cos with a newborn you, ll be spending most of your time in your room - I, d rather be home.

Needadvice5 Thu 05-Jun-14 08:52:27

I think that is a ridiculous price but then I always seem to fall lucky and find a good deal every year!

If you can afford it and want to pay itbut there's no way on gods earth I could afford that!

We went to Greece last summer, 1 week all inclusive in a 4 star, 2 adults and 3 kids for £1,200 and it was fab.

I always book through "on the beach" there's some brilliant deals to be had.

Bonsoir Thu 05-Jun-14 09:01:28

I would hate that sort of all-inclusive resort holiday. There are much better holidays to be had for less money.

littlegreengloworm Thu 05-Jun-14 09:03:14

Oh god, I wouldn't pay it all all.

We travel around northern Spain or Eastern Europe for very little money.

lljkk Thu 05-Jun-14 09:05:51

How newborn will the baby be?

Artistic Thu 05-Jun-14 09:09:39

OP - I would say - go for it! Last years we did an AI to Spain at a 5* hotel & it is by far the most luxurious, relaxing, memorable holiday ever!

We were 2 adults & 1 child & we spent about 4000. So your numbers are ok. The only word of caution would be - if you are spending such money then check, check & double check that the resort is a reliable one & won't disappoint. Read plenty of reviews from several websites, call the resort to double check amenities & then book.

If your older children are less than 3, they won't be able to use some of the children's clubs etc (without your supervision). Such mini clubs are usually a big attraction in the resort for parents who want to avail some quiet time.

So do your research & go for it. You won't regret it.

And yes, don't go 4* or 3*. The difference will be well worth the money.

If you want any specific input then PM me. Good luck!

schoolsgettingonmynerves Thu 05-Jun-14 09:10:26

Just for all those putting down the all inclusives I'm actually going out for a wedding of a close family member and with three young children want the least amount of hassle as poss. They have restaurants on site and I will prob be back in my room by 9 latest!!! The last thing I want to do is drag three kids around a town looking for a restaurant (when they are much older then I will look forward to this bit!). iflyaway I will be sunbathing whilst babes snoozes next to me in the shade with a mosquito net over her, I don't think I would 'rather be at home' to be honest. But like I said I'm going for a wedding so I probably would have give the holiday a miss if it wasn't for this....

Thanks for your thoughts.

schoolsgettingonmynerves Thu 05-Jun-14 09:11:48

The baby will be 3 months...

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 05-Jun-14 09:13:16

Yes. Its an obscene amount of money for what you are getting.

For 6.5k id get a two week trip to Florida inc park entry for two adults and two kids, or id be able to put in a new kitchen.

Both of which id say were more worth the money than what you have been quoted for.

Fcukfifa Thu 05-Jun-14 09:13:26

I like good holidays but even I'm baulking a bit at that price, for a week in Greece!

How about hiring a villa, could work out cheaper for 3 adults and 3 kids. You would obviously have to pay for food etc.

Can you only go on a specific date?

Try looking on hotukdeals at the travel deals, there are some scorchers (grin) on there. I have just seen one for 11nights in the Maldives all inc for 999pp which would be cheaper than this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now