Port Aventura near Barcelona - what's the low down?

(67 Posts)
BitOutOfPractice Mon 02-Jun-14 11:06:09

Have you been? What tips have you got?

Don't bother telling me not to go because it's booked wink

dreamingofsun Mon 02-Jun-14 17:11:07

not sure what port aventura is but barcelona is great. much nicer city break than london or paris.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 02-Jun-14 18:55:33

Yes I've been to Barcelona before but not with the DC. We have a week of beach and theme park, then a few days in the city. Can't wait to tell the kids grin

SoldeInvierno Mon 02-Jun-14 18:57:07

I went to a corporate event there. It id about an hour away from Barcelona airport and it was a good theme park. Similar to Thorpe Park. How long ate you there for? Are you staying on site?

BitOutOfPractice Mon 02-Jun-14 19:04:53

Our villa is about 10 minutes away I think. Only just booked it.

We are there a week and then Barcalona for 3 nights. Can't wait!

Tinkerball Mon 02-Jun-14 20:22:07

I've been but it was years ago, it was when we stayed at Salou. We all loved it, too big queues during the day like most theme parks do on our second day we went after dinner(it was open late) and it was much better!

allinthegameyo Tue 03-Jun-14 10:16:56

We went to the theme park a few years ago and we enjoyed it a good mix of rides. we are going back this year, this time we're going to the waterpark too. we didn't stay in the actual resort, we stayed at cap salou. but have friends who did and they liked it

BitOutOfPractice Tue 03-Jun-14 11:14:21

Oh that's a great tip thanks Tinker

Do they have a rule about swim shorts allin? We got caught out with that in France last week

GoogleIsBad Tue 03-Jun-14 11:33:58

I went about 3 years ago. We bought a 3 day pass (2 day in park, 1 in water park) as we were staying ion Salou for 2 weeks. Much preferred the waterpark to the actual theme park, and were wishing we could have swapped our tickets over for 2 waterpark.

The theme park is good, but I thought it didn't have a lot in the way of mid range rides. Lots of brilliant roller coasters, and smaller rides, but not a great deal in between.

GoogleIsBad Tue 03-Jun-14 11:34:28

No swim shorts rule.

bishboschone Tue 03-Jun-14 11:41:13

I've been twice .. I love it.. The theme park is brilliant and very authentic rather than shiny Disney.. They have some awesome coasters too!!! We stayed at the portaventura hotel both times and it's perfect for easy access .

BitOutOfPractice Tue 03-Jun-14 11:50:18

I'm glad I asked about te swim shorts...

GoogleIsBad Tue 03-Jun-14 15:36:53

Sorry not sure if I was clear, I mean there are no rules at regarding sorts, you can wear what you want. grin

ssd Wed 04-Jun-14 09:44:32

cAn anyone tell me, is it better to buy tickets online here or wait till we get there? also is it worth getting fast passes for the rides? has anyone got an idea the prices? I looked on line and it was all in Spanish (duh!!)

have 2 teens going to Spain for the first time and want to make the most of a limited budget!

thanks!

jellyandbeans Wed 04-Jun-14 11:44:06

Hi, not posted here before. I want to ask if anyone has had a holiday with Thomson on one of their cruise ships from Newcastle to Norway? Its just for a week at the end of July and all booked for 4 of us ( two teenagers and husband) Haven't been on this type of holiday before, I am not sure what type of clothes to pack ( going one of the organized trips to see a glacier so guessing that wont be that hot!) how fussy they are about dressing up for dinner ( although it doesn't look that posh in the brochure) , anyone ever been on this cruise or something similar? Please let me know how you got on and what type of clothes you took with you. Thank you.

jellyandbeans Wed 04-Jun-14 11:44:06

Hi, not posted here before. I want to ask if anyone has had a holiday with Thomson on one of their cruise ships from Newcastle to Norway? Its just for a week at the end of July and all booked for 4 of us ( two teenagers and husband) Haven't been on this type of holiday before, I am not sure what type of clothes to pack ( going one of the organized trips to see a glacier so guessing that wont be that hot!) how fussy they are about dressing up for dinner ( although it doesn't look that posh in the brochure) , anyone ever been on this cruise or something similar? Please let me know how you got on and what type of clothes you took with you. Thank you.

jellyandbeans Wed 04-Jun-14 11:44:07

jellyandbeans Wed 04-Jun-14 11:45:12

sorry it posted too many times, not done this before!

bishboschone Wed 04-Jun-14 16:54:41

If you book a package you get passes.. Also the hotels give you a few fast passes.

ssd Thu 05-Jun-14 07:44:17

my holiday is a package to a resort nearish to portaventura, so no passes included and i doubt the hotel supplies them, its not the portaventura hotels, they were way too ££££ for us....we're looking for deals to be found elsewhere

BitOutOfPractice Thu 05-Jun-14 08:14:31

ssd I think it's cheaper to buy at the hotel when you're there. I'm going to ask on trip advisor though

jellyandbeans it's probably best to start a new thread with your question in the title. This thread will only get clicked by people who've been to port aventura not cruisers

Have a lovely time anyway

ssd Thu 05-Jun-14 09:19:43

thanks bitoutofpractice

I always forget trip advisor, although we never usually go anywhere so maybe thats why I dont think of it!

BitOutOfPractice Thu 05-Jun-14 09:28:01

I'm off to check now - I'll report back

I'm a Top Contributor on there you know <sad boast>

BitOutOfPractice Thu 05-Jun-14 09:31:17

OK it seems cheaper to buy them in advance - have a google and see what comes up. I'll let yo uknow if I find any good deals ssd but I must get some work done now!

PiggyPlumPie Thu 05-Jun-14 09:42:50

We went last year and loved it. Scary coasters for DD1 and DS, plenty for DD2 aged 8, queues not too bad.

We bought tickets at the gate and it was expensive. Very strict on not letting you take food in - we had our nectarines confiscated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now