Help - solo break - where??

(13 Posts)
GrassIsSinging Sun 11-May-14 20:59:53

I am planning to go away alone (no DH, no kids...just me! <faints at the prospect>) for 5-7 days in late May (summer half term ideally, but dates are flexible).

It has to be cheap, pretty and relaxing. I dont have any other big prerequesites. I'll stay in the UK or venture further afield if I can afford it. I just need a break (am recovering from a major illness) and would like to be somewhere I can take walks, sit in cafes, mooch about basically.

I have no idea where, though! Ideas?

I looked at late packages to Greek islands etc, but weather isnt guaranteed and dont want to fork out money to sit in a beach resort in the cold. Now thinking of somewhere lovely closer to home, but cant seem to make a decision.

Any ideas gratefully received. TIA.

notnowImreading Sun 11-May-14 21:04:13

How much do you have to spend? If you end up staying in the UK, will you have the use of a car?

TheHouseatWhoCorner Sun 11-May-14 21:04:53

If it were me, I'd head for York.

Everything in striking distance, culture, shopping, cafes.

I'm sure you could find a friendly pub yo do you B&B and the option of evening meal.

Hope that wherever you choose its the tonic you need.

fiestaforever Sun 11-May-14 22:50:47

i do lots of solo breaks, ive tried lanzarote, (bad weather, too many kids and annoying families, hotels not swanky enough) Miami (fabulous, only 7 hour flight, really nice and easy to be on your own)
i think my best effort was barcelona for good bars, beach, people watching, good hotels..
but amsterdam not bad, brecon beacons, and dorset, new forest and london get points for ease of use..

Have you been to Guernsey? I love going there alone, pretty countryside, lovely St Peters Port harbour, nice cafes and shops. Boat rides to Herm and Sark and France, and its such a short flight from UK.

GrassIsSinging Mon 12-May-14 15:12:06

Thanks for all replies so far.

I havent fixed a final budget, but dont want a big blow out. Trying to be frugal, and enjoy the time alone rather than lots of treats, iyswim.

I hadnt thought of Guernsey. Will investigate. I've been to York before and loved it. Thats definitely an idea.

Love, love, love Miami, but have been many times (in laws live out there) and dont think my budget will stretch.

Hmmm. Will update you soon :-)

Any other ideas gratefully received.

magimedi Mon 12-May-14 15:28:35

My best solo break was to the Scilly Isles, Tresco. But it was about 16 years ago.

So peaceful with no cars & you could walk round the whole island & take boat trips to some of the others.

wigglesrock Mon 12-May-14 17:26:32

Belfast? Stay in city centre - mooch about, take some trips - up the Antrim Coast, sneak in a cheapy theatre show, nip to the cinema, eat alone, go to museums, library, markets, get the train to Dublin or Derry.

You wouldn't be guaranteed the weather but you never are. We don't have a May half term so it could be as kid free as you wanted.

lottysmum Mon 12-May-14 19:10:34

Head for the south of France ...you may get some cheap flights if your flexible when you fly .....I have stayed in Collioure which is wonderful and you can combine France and Spain ...(either by use of a hire car or train)

notnowImreading Mon 12-May-14 19:46:05

I went to France by myself and it was lovely. Flew to Toulouse, hired a car and stayed in a hotel called Le Tresor in a village called Sonnac sur l'Hers. It was lovely (no pool or anything but lots of nice villages and walks in the surrounding area and it was run by lovely English couple). I booked it through Mr and Mrs Smith website but Mr Smith was being a shit head and wasn't invited. Definitely a restful and lovely place to go. It was only about an hour's drive from Carcassonne so that was a good day out.

notnowImreading Mon 12-May-14 19:48:30

The East Sussex Coast is fab too - stay in Rye, pootle around the beaches, villages and country lanes. It's like stepping through a doorway into a famous five book.

marshmallowpies Mon 12-May-14 19:50:47

First holiday I ever did by myself was Madrid & I loved it. Great if you love art: the Prado plus two more world class art galleries. Great food and drink, the perfect city for sitting in a cafe watching the world go by.

I did begin to run out of touristy things to do after a week there, so a short break should be perfect. And in the city centre I found a cinema which showed films in original language with subtitles & no dubbing, so I stopped myself feeling lonely in the evenings by going to the cinema a lot.

It was an amazing city I'd love to go back to.

kaizen Mon 12-May-14 19:53:11

I second the Scilly isles - lovely for exploring, boat trips, friendly folk and sunsets. Fly from exeter or Newquay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now