Mother and child travelling with different surnames

(11 Posts)
loveisagirlnameddaisy Thu 08-May-14 15:43:36

Apologies if there are countless threads already on this subject, haven't had time to search. I'm taking DD to Eurodisney later this year with a friend but DP won't be with us. She has DP's surname, not mine. Is there likely to be an issue at passport control? Do I need her birth certificate with me?

lyndie Thu 08-May-14 15:49:18

Watching as I've always wondered this! I'm married but have never changed my name for professional reasons.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Thu 08-May-14 15:50:38

I've just done a quick online search and a Guardian article by a journo who was questioned at border control recommends carrying a copy of child's birth certificate.

TheRedQueen Thu 08-May-14 15:51:11

Yes, take her birth certificate with you to be on the safe side. I always get questioned about DD ....

HolidayCriminal Thu 08-May-14 16:00:22

How old is she? I'm traveling with DC with different surnames, nobody cares so far. (TransAtlantic).

loveisagirlnameddaisy Thu 08-May-14 16:37:40

She'll be 5 when we travel (although looks about 8!)

crankypants Thu 08-May-14 16:43:19

I've done it quite a few times (including going to Paris) and we've never had problems but yes to taking birth certificate just in case.

exexpat Thu 08-May-14 16:45:03

Take her birth certificate, and a letter from DP saying he is aware of and has no objection to your travel plans, with a phone number for them to contact him to check - just in case. You may well not need them, but it's a hassle if you are asked and don't have them.

I have a different surname from my DCs and have been asked about my relationship with them very frequently when returning to the UK on Eurostar, or arriving in Heathrow, but have only had to produce birth certificates once or twice (I always carry them just in case).

Also, don't be surprised if the immigration control person speaks directly to your DD and asks her if she is travelling with mummy or something along those lines.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 08-May-14 16:45:31

You know what the answer is don't you wink

FortyFacedFuckers Thu 08-May-14 16:50:59

I traveled with DS (who doesn't have my surname) without DP and no one ever questioned it, although I haven't in the last few years maybe they have got stricter.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Thu 08-May-14 16:58:18

sonly yes I guess I kind of did as soon as I posted! ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now