Going on Eurotunnel in Campervan at peak periods - 2 hr flexibility?

(5 Posts)
dhneverhappy Wed 07-May-14 20:03:50

Hi,

Eurotunnel state that you can arrive up to 2 hrs either side of the departure time and still get on a train.

Does anyone have any experience of arriving two hours early in busy/peak periods when travelling by Campervan or caravan, and actually being put on an earlier train? My husband scoffs me when I suggest arriving earlier (as we now can) as he believes they can't handle changing the departure times of larger vehicles very well.

I just wondered if anyone had experience of this?

Thanks so much.

Dhnh

Furball Thu 08-May-14 06:48:44

We've done it a few times in our m otorhome, - turned up early and they've put us straight on. Obviously it all depends if they have room. They are usually very accommodating. smile

Furball Thu 08-May-14 06:49:35

you don't even need to speak to anyone, there is number plate recognition and the machine asks you

cheerup Thu 08-May-14 07:01:59

We have done Eurotunnel several times in peak peak periods and always been put on the scheduled crossing as no availability on earlier ones. That was in a car with roofbox which occupy the same part of the trains as vans, campers etc. You might be lucky or you might have a long wait in a dull terminal!

IDontDoIroning Thu 08-May-14 07:08:49

It does depend on the time you have booked and how popular that departure time is, eg the late or overnights.
We have done it and quite often they will give you the option of an earlier crossing than we have booked there's several an hour so it might not be the full 2 hr. Sometimes we take it sometimes not - if we want to get food or use loos etc.
there may be a charge for the earlier departure if it is in the higher band.
Also you are building in flexibility for traffic issues if you aim for the earlier time.
Worse case scenario is you have to kill 2 hrs at the terminal ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now