Have you stayed at a good AI with an 11 and 9yo dc? If so, where?

(22 Posts)
Waswondering Wed 07-May-14 18:42:40

Looking for inspiration for 2015. This will be A Special Family Holiday.

We want luxury, stuff for the kids to do, nice dining and everyone happy!

Dh and I have, I think, looked at every hotel in the Western Hemisphere in the last few days.

We want 2 weeks AI in early/mid July 2015, as a celebratory hol. I want it to be very naice. Preferably 5*.

The fly in the ointment is my tastes and our budget are at odds. This means no Orlando, no Disney cruises, and no to Antigua. But yes to 5* in Greece/Turkey (if we get a Good Deal) and maybe, cautiously Dom Rep (but is that ok with kids? Was mixed reputation for sickness when we got married last century!)

Anyone ... Please ... Got any suggestions? Dh is patient to a point, but I'm being irritating and picky!

Waswondering Wed 07-May-14 19:35:18

Can I bump after only an hour?

caroldecker Wed 07-May-14 21:06:24

what be the budget?

AnyFucker Wed 07-May-14 21:09:06
OftheTwilighttheDarkness Wed 07-May-14 21:13:29
Waswondering Wed 07-May-14 22:07:06

Ooooh Any, we had looked at that and it was in budget. Did it have the luxury factor?

Thanks for the Tenerife suggestion. Wasn't really thinking about Canaries ...

AnyFucker Wed 07-May-14 22:32:31

I believe so, yes. We had a lovely bungalow in the grounds rather than a room in the hotel bit

The grounds run right down to the sea which is divine. There is a lovely shady path right outside that takes a 15min walk to Icmeler in one direction (with yes, an ice skating rink along it) and a 30 min walk to Marmaris in the other

The Turkish spa was bliss and more child friendly than some I have used.

I can recommend (and wish we could afford to go again...)

Waswondering Thu 08-May-14 07:52:45

That sounds lovely. Were you there in July time? Wondering how hot it would be ....

AnyFucker Thu 08-May-14 07:54:53

We were there in October. July would be very hot,, but plenty of shade to be had smile

winklewoman Tue 13-May-14 17:08:44

We took DGCs to the Bahia Principe El Portillo in the Dom Rep last August and they loved it, lots to do both on and off site; the downside is that First Choice/Thomsons have changed airport and the transfer is now four hours not forty five minutes, which is why we will not be returning this summer.

DH and I have been to the DR four times, always to Bahia P hotels and have had absolutely no problem with sickness.

Have you considered the Maldives? Not as expensive as you might think, as long as you avoid the really fancy ones. Have a look at Reethi Beach, a good allrounder, very good AI food, lovely beach bungalows. Our little ones loved it, as did our big ones!

winklewoman Tue 13-May-14 17:26:46

I forgot to say we are taking the DGCs, who will be 9 and nearly 11 to the Bahie Principe Tulum in Mexico this summer, and we are hoping for the best as we have not been to Mexico before. However I don't really think you would like it, it is enormous and we chose it for the children rather than to suit us.

Crutchlow35 Tue 13-May-14 18:24:34

Have a look at thomson sensatori hotels and swim up rooms.

Hersetta427 Wed 14-May-14 09:38:06

We have been to the Bahia Principe Tulum Hotel - it was great (although I beleive the sister hotel next door is slightly more luxurious (the Bahia Principe Akumel - where we stayed but we could also use the Tulum facilities) - in the Dom Rep we prefer the Iberostar hotels.

The Maldives is an option if they would love spending all day in the water (not much else to do). Reethi Beach as mentioned above is very nice, although I would also throw Veligandu and Lily Beach in as well (especially the latter).

The sensatori resorts are fab too - there is one in Mexico I beleive, but the flagship one is tenerife.

winklewoman Wed 14-May-14 23:02:57

Always a relief, Hersetta, to have someone say wherever you are going to is great, thanks.
Isn't Lily beach a heck of a lot more expensive than Reethi? The AI is said to be very good though. What about Mauritius? Lots to see and do, nice resorts, cheaper than the Maldives which is why we are going there tomorrow and not to Reethi or anywhere else Maldivian.
The 'Beaches' hotels are said to be terrific for families, but at a price. Might be worth considering for a 'special' holiday though as so much in the way of activities is included.

Coconutty Wed 14-May-14 23:08:07

Maldives and Mauritius are easy more expensive than most of the shorter haul locations.

I second sensatori but again they can be pricey.

winklewoman Thu 15-May-14 00:16:49

Would you consider clarifying your budget, Waswondering? It might help when making suggestions.

BB01 Thu 15-May-14 08:37:52

Twilight, we went to San Blas - it was amazing! There's a kids club but it's all very low key

Hersetta427 Thu 15-May-14 09:47:43

Yes Mauritius is beautiful - been once for a friends wedding but my heart is in the Maldives (and Lily Beach). We have been there 5 times - the last time we took DD (3.9) with us for the first time and the staff were amazing with her and they all treated her like a princess (in fact they used to call 'hello princess' to her whenever she walked through reception). I think a small blonde girl was an usual sight for them as the client base has changed over the years from Eurpoean to more than 80% Asian.

Now we have a 2 yr old DS I am not sure when we will go back - he is a bit more high maintainence than her!

Redtartanshoes Thu 15-May-14 11:12:11

Delphin diva in Turkey.

winklewoman Sat 17-May-14 20:23:29

Hersetta, I think once you have been to the Maldives, your heart will always be there. It is impossible to explain its magic. So sad that it has become so much more expensive over the last couple of years, partly to do with the opening up of the Chinese market.
We had similar experiences to you with our little grandchildren except that they are half St Helenian (yes, I know, a very obscure part of the 'empire'). Our grandson particularly, especially when suntanned, looks like a little Sri lankan or indeed Maldivian child, and he was adored by one and all, faintly puzzled though they were!

marbeth Sun 18-May-14 17:22:53

Have a look at the Oceania Club Halkidki.We got a good price booking through BA in their January sale .

Sidge Sun 18-May-14 17:35:13

I wouldn't recommend Sandos San Blas - the rooms are nice but 5 star it ain't and the food and drink is poor.

I loved Playa Pesquero in Cuba but might not be special enough for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now