Rome in October

(10 Posts)
Elfontheedge Tue 06-May-14 23:30:24

I have been lucky enough to land a free trip to Rome and we will probably be going in October so what's it like that time of year? Warm? Cold? Wet? What does one wear in Rome? We'll be visiting the colosseum, Appian Way etc.

tealady Wed 07-May-14 10:16:08

We visited a few years ago in October and it was mostly pleasant and sunny and warm/hot but not too boiling. T shirt weather, sunglasses and maybe a light jacket for the early mornings was what we needed.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 07-May-14 10:21:01

I've been to Rome in October and got proposed to at the Trevi fountain

It was warm . I wore trousers and a to shirt and took a light cardigan out with me which I did need a few times when in the shade . It did rain one day thought quite heavy .

squillionaire Wed 07-May-14 23:53:09

Usually it is still warm and sunny, but it can be stormy especially in the evenings - I would take stuff for warm weather - 20-25 degrees, but also be prepared for rain (although if it rains it won't really be cold)

ErrolTheDragon Thu 08-May-14 00:01:58

We went a couple of years ago in the october half-term hols. Very pleasant weather for sightseeing. Jeans and t-shirt and something over that, comfortable shoes (we walked a lot!) took a somewhat smarter jacket/trousers for evening. It did rain once or twice - I carried a backpack with a couple of folding brollies in it. Can't remember if we needed raincoats at all. There was a thunderstorm one evening.

PatriciaHolm Thu 08-May-14 09:17:39

We were there last October and it was lovely - short sleeves and shorts during the day, jumper in the evening. We had a fabulous time!

Mignonette Thu 08-May-14 09:22:45

Oh lucky you! The weather will be beautiful and the city will be full of Autumnal mellowness.

The Appian Way is stunning but wear sturdy shoes- no heels or shoes with poor ankle support. It isn't quite hiking boot territory but gladiator sandals won't cut it as the surface can be a little rickety and slippery in the wet and early morning dew.

Are you going to visit any of the gardens? There are some beauties.

Bonsoir Thu 08-May-14 09:34:34

I was in Rome over Easter and second the shoe advice - I wore trainers the whole time. Not only are the sites themselves quite bumpy but the pavements and streets in Rome are not nearly as flat and level as I am used to (Paris) and I needed the security and support of trainers.

AppleSnow Thu 08-May-14 09:40:36

I was there last October too. Perfect weather - didn't rain at all.
We wore T-shirts and light trousers/skirts and walking sandals. We ate outside in the evening and only needed a cardigan.

Have a lovely time - it's a fascinating city. One of the highlights was the huge murmurations of starlings every evening whirling over the city. There's a little park on the Aventine Hill which is the perfect viewing point.

lapsedorienteerer Thu 08-May-14 21:32:19

I went to Rome in December, on the first day it was T-Shirt weather (ate outside at lunchtime), the second day was pouring rain but not cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now