Any advice on European capital city tours

(8 Posts)
Onlyonamonday Mon 05-May-14 11:43:38

Both my dc are older teens now
So for the first time my dh and I are looking at going on holiday just the two of us sad grin
Over the years we have done all the sun sea and sand holidays.. Which has been great with the dc.
My dh and I like the idea of visiting two or three european cities
Maybe fly to one then euro train to another
Just wondering if anyone has any advice and has done something similar to this.
We don't want to be spending massive amounts and are looking for cheapest way to do this.

dreamingofsun Mon 05-May-14 17:32:34

capital cities in europe are hard work but great to look back on. so personally i would do one at a time. so far we have done paris and barcelona. the latter was our favourite. we have done them in the winter so its less crowded and cheaper.

MillyMollyMama Mon 05-May-14 19:25:45

It is very easy to travel by train in Italy. Base yourself in, say Bologna, and then you could go to Florence, Milan, Verona, Vicenza, Ferrara, Modena , Venice and Parma very easily. Take your pick. I think this works better than several different countries. Or you could fly to Geneva, go to Milan on the train, then Bologna or Venice by train, then fly home.

foxdongle Mon 05-May-14 19:48:52

Hi Vienna to Bratislava by train only takes an hour.
It's a trip we would like to do.

Onlyonamonday Mon 05-May-14 21:33:40

Hi thanks for replies
The idea of one does sound a little easier
Would like to do Barcelona as have been to Paris
Will look at the other ideas too

BigDorrit Mon 05-May-14 21:54:41

We did a 9 night trip going only by train a few years ago. Friday evening Eurostar to Paris for a couple of nights, then sleeper to Venice, daytime train to Rome, and sleeper back to Paris for one night before getting a Eurostar home on the Sunday.

Could probably be done cheaper on Easyjet, but it was great fun and arriving hungover and groggy at Venice Santa Lucia station was sensory overload.

Onlyonamonday Wed 07-May-14 14:57:51

We have just booked Barcelona and May get the train over to Madrid that's probably our limit for now budget wise
Thanks for all ideas

Bunbaker Wed 07-May-14 15:01:59

We did a two centre holiday in Florence and Venice, travelling between the two by train. It was wonderful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now