Recommendations for a stopping point around midlands?

(19 Posts)
NumptyNu Tue 29-Apr-14 15:59:46

Hi all,

We're travelling from the SE to the NW and I've been looking for a good stopping place where three little kids can have a run about. Ideally off the M6 or A1, about 'half-way up' iyswim. National Trust perhaps with adventure playground / picnic type of idea (open to suggestions though)!

Any recommendations kind people?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 29-Apr-14 22:19:00

Sudbury Hall is on the A50 between M1 and the M6 or how about Trentham?

NumptyNu Wed 30-Apr-14 22:20:32

Yes I had spied Sudbury on the NT map. Do they have outdoor play there too? I'll check out Trentam right now...

bigbadbarry Wed 30-Apr-14 22:23:31

Shugborough or trentham are our favourite stopping points (live in NW, family in SE).

DameAuxCamelias Wed 30-Apr-14 22:26:42

We did this trip a couple of weeks ago and on our return down south we stopped at Charlecote Park. Very close to the motorway, good gardens for running around. The house itself was quick to tour, so the kids didn't even mind so much.

Hanginggardenofboobylon Wed 30-Apr-14 22:30:43

Belton House near Grantham is great.
We do Essex to Manchester with just a quick toilet stop (and lots of films on ipad)

gallicgirl Wed 30-Apr-14 22:32:31

Sudbury is great for running around. There's an adventure playground and café that are free to enter.

Leo35 Wed 30-Apr-14 22:40:21

NT wise - off A1 is Belton House, Woolsthorpe Manor (Lincs), Clumber Park (Notts). M6/A50 way is Sudbury Hall, Tatton Park and something else near Manc. Sudbury is much easier as a short stop, Tatton and Clumber are huge.

Easton Walled Gardens are just off A1 in Lincs, but don't open Saturdays or Mondays and Tuesdays. It's a lovely spot though and they have a basket of balls for the kids to play with on the lawn.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 01-May-14 19:48:47

Have you decided yet numpty?

NumptyNu Thu 01-May-14 22:21:16

Great, I'll check those out. What's at Shugborough?

twentyten Thu 01-May-14 22:23:15

National trust house at Stafford. Lots of space- farm which charges extra. Good tea room!

twentyten Thu 01-May-14 22:25:09

Trentham is great- fab play area . Check website for half price tickets. Good shopping too!

Bug2014 Thu 01-May-14 22:31:58

Another vote for Belton House at Grantham just off the A1. It has a fab woodland adventure playground and mini train - you can see deer close by in the woods as it goes along. Lots of outdoor space to run around in and a lovely atmosphere. They have also added an indoor play area with cafe recently. Pricey though, it was about a tenner each last time we went from what I remember.

bigbadbarry Fri 02-May-14 10:57:19

Shugborough has lovely gardens and a big wild wooded area for running about. Can't remember if there was a playground. It has a (small) house that usually has some sort of trail for the children. There are also loads of bits of history - like, working Victorian kitchens and that sort of thing - but because it is shared NT and private, we can't get into those bits without paying so never have! We would if it wasn't just a stop-off and we had a whole day, as they look very interesting.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 02-May-14 11:04:11

We find garden centres can be good!

Have a look at this one. They're part of a bit chain and they have kids play areas, some have softplay, decent cafés etc and no admission or parking fees!

NumptyNu Sat 03-May-14 17:05:07

Brilliant! Thanks all.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-May-14 17:12:44

Not really somewhere to run around but how about stopping off at Emma Bridgewater? The cafe is scrummy and you could even create your own keepsake smile

If you sign up for the Enjoy Staffordshire card before you travel! you can get deals like 2 for 1 at Shugborough Gardens, Rode Hall Gardens and the Wedgwood Visitor Experience smile

SteadyEddie Sun 04-May-14 07:59:37

I have to add to those suggesting Belton House. Its one of our favourite places because it really does have everything.

MagicSwirlinShip Sun 11-May-14 19:09:17

Another vote here for Clumber Park. It's huge and has the advantage that it is literally just off the A1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now