London 2 adults 2 kids BUDGET

(14 Posts)
Evbev Tue 29-Apr-14 11:20:40

HI THERE,
we hoping to go to London in late May for 2 nights. Can anyone recommend anywhere near city centre so we can walk to national gallery etc but on a budget. I looked at apartments which would be ideal but they all very expensive. An apartment would be great as it would save on eating out etc

mummymeister Tue 29-Apr-14 14:10:34

late May is May half term school holidays and in that week - 23rd May to 2nd June prices will be virtually double. best bet is a Travelodge/premier Inn room and then eat out. also have a look at airbandb but read the terms and conditions for each place really carefully and check the location. some say walking distance to.... but you could only do this in the number of minutes they quote if you are a sprinter.

Evbev Thu 01-May-14 09:18:18

thanks for the advice - what is airband b

I would avoid Airbnb as it is too easy to be scammed. They do not check whether listings are genuine.

I would also be looking at Premier Inn/Travelodge etc. The time you are thinking of travelling to London is half term so prices will rise accordingly.

How much ideally do you want to spend total over the two nights on accommodation?.

DowntonTrout Thu 01-May-14 09:54:46

Premier Inn or travelodge is your friend. Very few hotels do rooms for 4 and if they do they are suites and very expensive. Sometimes the hiltons have rooms with 2 queen beds, I often stay at a Hilton through last minute.com. It is one of their top secret hotels and I always get a good deal.

It depends on your budget really.tell us a ballpark figure and we can advise.

There are lots of serviced apartments but they vary wildly in price. Many are in the Hyde Park/ Bayswater area. Try doing a search on Trivago. Dolphin House and some of the County Hall/south bank hotels do family rooms. As does Melia White House and the Holiday Inn chain.

You can also find private apartment rentals through Trip advisor.

specialsubject Thu 01-May-14 10:56:59

I think the cost of a travelcard from further out will be a lot less than the cost of central hotels/apartments.

mummymeister Thu 01-May-14 19:27:39

we have used airbandb a number of times as have friends and never been scammed. perhaps we just got lucky. they have a website. google it and make your own mind up on the places that you see on there. but also check on maps where they are and go on streetview to have a nose around to make sure of the kind of area you are staying in. an idea of budget / what you consider expensive would be good.

Evbev Mon 05-May-14 12:04:38

Hi I would ideally like to spend for 2 nights total around the £200 mark for a family room with all of us in one room!

So £100 a night for the four of you?. You will get nothing near the centre for that sort of money or anywhere even half decent so you will have to spend more.

Again very few places will do rooms for 4 in one room. Premier Inn and Travelodge would be worth looking at.

rosy71 Mon 05-May-14 18:51:09

I'd agree with going for Premier Inn or Travelodge. There's both near Euston station if that's where you'd arrive. It's also probable that staying outside London & travelling in each day would actually be cheaper.

AtAmber Mon 05-May-14 18:58:21

Have you thought of staying at a youth hostel? We stayed at one near Euston station. We had a room for five of us. It was much cheaper than a hotel.

MillyMollyMama Mon 05-May-14 19:11:56

I would stay further out and travel back after eating out in London. I cannot see how anything would be available for the spend you quote near the national gallery.

MillyMollyMama Mon 05-May-14 19:19:37

Just had an idea, but unlikely to work for the summer holidays.... But, the University of London rents out its Halls of Residence. A quick look for the Christmas Holidays (mid December) is £105 per night for a 4 person flat. Looks to be booked up this summer, but 2015 maybe? Central locations too. Just google University of London holiday accommodation.

ruddynorah Mon 05-May-14 19:22:23

I've booked two nights at a Travelodge for £30 a night. Booked it far in advance though, not sure what the prices are like now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now