1 week in Portugal - Advice needed for 1st time parents..!

(7 Posts)
WhiteRose74 Tue 22-Apr-14 11:58:32

We are going to Portugal in June for a week - travelling with Jet 2.
We use a Bugaboo Donkey - will we be able to use this in the airport to the steps of the plane? Do people buy the Bugaboo travel bags? What about excess baggage costs? I will be taking a Baby Bjorn sling as well.
Also - any recommendations on what to pack for a 3 month old? I'm looking for advice specifically on sterlising bottles/dummies + swimwear.

Thanks!

IComeFromALandDownUnder Tue 22-Apr-14 12:13:26

You can bring your bugaboo up to the steps of the plane. You don't need a cover - I never did but ours is now pretty marked.

Will your accommodation have a microwave? You can buy a box of Dr. Browne's sterilising plastic bags.

Other then that I assume you have hired a cot. Ask what bedding they provide as sometimes it can be unsuitable ie. a duvet.

Bring your monitor if you use one, some nappies until you buy some, your own formula, a blanket to drape over the pushchair if baby is sleeping to keep the mozzies out. For day nice vests/rompers.

Swimwear get one of those short sleeve light wetsuits. Don't forget some hats and sun screen.

Pooremployer Tue 22-Apr-14 16:42:49

I'd take a large gutty box and some Milton tablets and use those for sterilising or buy the one a day bags you can buy on ebay. Oasis I think they are called.

happy nappy is a good reusable swim nappy
we don't put anything on with it for an under 6 mo as they shouldn't be in the sunshine. I have bought some "rash vests" for mine who are a bit older and will want to crawl / play in sunshine.

also read the t&c of jet 2 - I'm sure you will be able to take a buggy for free. we are taking our double with us.

movingalot Sat 03-May-14 22:03:29

We first went to Portugal with DD when she was 4 months, it was great. Second bringing Milton tabs for sterilising stuff. We use tap water and boil it for her rather than bottled. There's a really good brand of nappies over there, in a green bag, that are just like pampers and v cheap. Get a snooze shade for buggy for outdoor naps and UV protection.

We have a Bugaboo cameleon and got the travel bag, and used a sling in the airport, which worked perfectly. I have heard of a lot of nice pushchairs being ruined in the airplane hold, and we have got good value out of the travel bag. Now that DD is older we have bought a city mini for our next holiday. However, don't be tempted to bring a light buggy to Portugal with a three month old; as the cobbles everywhere will be uncomfortable for her (if she's used to a bugaboo anyway grin).

Have a great time, you'll love it!

movingalot Sat 03-May-14 22:04:43

Forgot to say we could check the Bugaboo travel bag in at no extra cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now